Thursday, July 17, 2014

Reviewer's bookshelf: The Hesitant Heiress by Dawn Crandall

21490837

Book Summary (from Goodreads): After being unjustly expelled from the Boston Conservatory of Music, Amaryllis Brigham sees her dreams of founding a music academy disappearing before her very eyes. Now the only way to achieve her goal comes with high stakes for someone set on avoiding men as much as possible: marry within the year to inherit her grandmother’s fortune. Amaryllis reluctantly takes part in her aunt’s society, intent on getting to the west coast on her own… and without a husband.

Despite her own misgivings, she soon finds herself falling in love with the most unlikely of men, Nathan Everstone, whose father not only had a part in her expulsion, but whose ominous presence has haunted her dreams for a decade since her mother’s tragic death. Nathan turns out to be much more than he seems and everything she never knew she wanted. But just as everything Amaryllis has recently hoped for comes to fruition, it all falls apart when she finds that the real culprit who has been managing her life isn't who she thought at all.

My thoughts...
When I was given the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Dawn Crandall's book, knowing that this was her debut novel, I was curious about how it would measure up to other favorite books/authors of mine.  I can say, without hesitation, that The Hesitant Heiress had every element that makes a story great!  First, let's begin with our heroine.  Amaryllis Brigham has the rare ability to play the piano by ear.  She wants to use her talent to help others to study music, but it seems that there is always someone who is trying to undermine her hopes and dreams.  Amaryllis is a character you want to root for, but there's an element of sadness around her as she struggles with her mother's death, a feeling of abandonment, and a man that she believes is responsible for ruining her education and reputation.  Amaryllis also struggles with fear, and her fight to try and conquer those fears.  All of these traits and more make Amaryllis a character that most of us can relate to.  Her battle within continues as she is in the presence of Nathan Everstone.  There were times when I just wanted her to give up and give in to her feelings of affection, but if that had happened there wouldn't be the excellent tension that was created.  In the end, I thought the author did a great job at developing Amaryllis' character and resolving different aspects of the plot in a page turning manner ; ). 

Now for our hero.  I'm a big fan of the mysterious, brooding type.  They're just more interesting and exciting to me.  Nathan Everstone has a little bit of that mysterious side and that drew me in.  I liked the fact that he didn't fawn over Amaryllis...he wooed her.  If a hero is too sappy or just too perfect, the author has lost me.  I didn't get lost with this hero : ).

Crandall did a great job with the pacing of the novel as well as the tension.  I loved the ending because it was fast paced and I was truly surprised by it.  The Hesitant Heiress had all the elements of a good (clean) historical romance.  I would definitely recommend it!

*I was given an advanced copy of this novel by the publisher to give an unbiased review.*

Stay tuned...The Hesitant Heiress will have it's Amazon (and other book sites) debut on August 1st. Dawn Crandall 
On August 14th I will be featuring Dawn in an interview!  Come by an check it out!  

6 comments:

Dawn Crandall said...

Thank you for your excitement regarding my debut novel, Stacey!!! I'm so very happy you enjoyed it!! I'm looking forward to our interview coming up! :D

The Great Adventure said...

It was a great book, Dawn! I'm glad I can be a part of promoting it. I'm looking forward to the interview, too! : )

Lane Hill House said...

Thank you for your review, Stacey. I look forward to reading this series in print copy. Would like to win in this tour. All of the book covers ready definitely a plus to see! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great novel! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Lane Hill House said...

My comment doesn't seem to stick! I would like to read about Amaryllis! Sounds like a great story. Thank you for your review, Stacey. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks for the comments! Sorry you had some trouble, Lane...hope it works a little better next time. : ) I think you all will enjoy reading this book!