Monday, September 23, 2013

Letter E...Cycle 2, Week 5

My blog post titles are not too creative with these school updates : ).  Honestly, I'm worn out after our co-op days (I'm working with 3-5 year olds every Monday).  I love it, though, and love seeing how much the kids are learning!  I'm going to dive into what we're going to be studying this week because I know this post is going to take me a while.  Please check out my last post...I'm giving away a free children's board book that is very cute....Rufus and Ryan Go to Church!. All you need to do is comment on that post and you're in the drawing.  I'll be picking a name on Friday of this week.

Letter E
All I could think of with letter E was elephants and eggs.  There's a good place to start.  But there's also eagles, earth, Easter, and even eggplant.  Here are some things we started with today:

Letter E coloring pageseggselephant, and my friend has a page that she prints that has the dots on it.  I'm going to try and find it....Here's one...but not as cute as the one she had.  I'm going to ask her about it and post it next week.  She said she bought her bingo paint things at the Dollar Tree...so I'm going to check those out because it's easy and fun for the kids.

*We played a little game today with some of the alphabet cards I mentioned in this post.  And to continue my alphabet card obsession, I started printing these last night...adorable!  They are bigger than the other ones, so I just propped them up on the chalkboard.  Basically I laid out several cards from letter A to D on the floor.  I let the kids take turns trying to find one letter card.  It was a good review of the letters we've learned so far.  And because each card has a different picture of something starting with that letter, it was a good way for them to identify the letter with different words and its sound.  (I hope that makes sense!)

crafts/painting:
A cool foamy egg and other "E" crafts
Elmer the Elephant idea and other crafts/resources


Yes!









And another yes...great idea!  My daughter is supposed to be learning this verse at church, too, so it'll be a good activity for her.





And let's not forget eggplant.  You could do a whole vegetable ABC's activity...I think I saw that somewhere and thought it was a cute idea.

So if we get to all of that "E" stuff, we'll be doing good!  Now for the memory work.

Cycle 2, Week 5 (wow...we're already at week 5?!)
History: The Hundred Years War/Joan of Arc/King Charles VII/black death
*Short, but informative video biography of Joan of Arc
*animated Joan of Arc video--this looks like something my kids will like
*Middle Ages for Kids--good background info
*Great, short video:


*Black death info

Science: How do animals react to environmental change?
*Info with definitions, links, and activity ideas
*How Animals Get Ready for Winter (clip) video-kind of looks like a video I might've watched in school! : )
*Animals in Winter cards--$3.29
*Lesson idea on adapt, migrate, and hibernate.  I have the book "The Mitten" so I'm probably going to read that this week.
*Yay!  A FREE game...definitely going to print this.  I'm probably not going to print the questions, but the cards with the info to go on the back of each will be great!
*books: Magic School Bus Sleeps for the Winter...couldn't find a video for this one : (.  I doubt we'll be able to find the book at our library, but some of you might be able to find it.
The Mitten by Jan Brett
The little mouse, the red ripe Strawberry, and THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR   by Don and Audrey Wood--I haven't read this one, but I LOVE the authors, so I think it would be a good one.

Geography: probably the most I'm going to do with this is print out the Geography Cards from And Here We Go! blog.  I really like those cards.

We'll also listen to some songs from our Geography Songs cd.  It's a great, fun way to learn.  You can also get the MP 3 on Amazon if you don't want to buy the cd.







For English, we'll watch the YouTube video that has all the grammar memory work in song.  The kids have loved that, too.

Well, it's bedtime for the kiddos and I could use some rest myself!  Hope you all have a great week!

No comments: