Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Reviewer's Bookshelf: The Promise of Breeze Hill by Pam Hillman

Book Summary (Goodreads)...Natchez, MS; 1791
Anxious for his brothers to join him on the rugged frontier along the Mississippi River, Connor O'Shea has no choice but to indenture himself as a carpenter in exchange for their passage from Ireland. But when he's sold to Isabella Bartholomew of Breeze Hill Plantation, Connor fears he'll repeat past mistakes and vows not to be tempted by the lovely lady.

The responsibilities of running Breeze Hill have fallen on Isabella's shoulders after her brother was found dead in the swamps along the Natchez Trace and a suspicious fire devastated their crops, almost destroyed their home, and left her father seriously injured. Even with Connor's help, Isabella fears she'll lose her family's plantation. Despite her growing feelings for the handsome Irish carpenter, she seriously considers accepting her wealthy and influential neighbor's proposal of marriage.

Soon, though, Connor realizes someone is out to eliminate the Bartholomew family. Can he set aside his own feelings to keep Isabella safe?

My thoughts...I was first drawn in to this novel by the beautiful cover. It captures Isabella's character and the setting so well!
I don't know much about the Natchez area or its' history, but Pam Hillman gave a great description that helped me visualize it without going overboard with too much detail. The vivid description of Breeze Hill made me feel as if I were walking through the rooms, seeing the layout, the furnishings, and charred remains of each room.
Connor O'Shea was a hero after my own heart. Masculine, with a deep sense of commitment to family and protectiveness over those who are in need, and then throw in the Irish iron will and brogue...it really doesn't get much better than that! Isabella was a little bit of the damsel in distress, but never gave up on serving her injured father or those who depended on her. She was a heroine that I could respect.
The overall pace of the story was steady and strong, my only concern in the beginning of the novel being that too much of the villain's motives were revealed. While I would've liked to have more suspense in that case, I was still pleasantly surprised with how the story unfolded. There was plenty of intrigue and action to keep me turning the pages til the end.
I look forward to reading more of Hillman's books in the future!

**I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in order to express my thoughts and opinions, which I did.**

No comments: