Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Reviewer's Bookshelf: "A Dangerous Legacy" by Elizabeth Camden

Summary (Goodreads): Lucy is determined to keep working as a telegraph operator at a news agency, even though the arrival of Sir Colin Beckwith threatens her position. When she discovers Colin's shocking secret, she agrees to assist him if he helps her find her family's stolen inheritance--not realizing that the trail leads into a web of treachery, danger, and conspiracy.

My thoughts...I've read all of Elizabeth Camden's books and I've loved some, and others I didn't connect with as well. A Dangerous Legacy fell into the "love" category! A typical Camden book often has an event in history as the backdrop, and many times the setting becomes central to the book with the characters falling in behind it. In this novel, the setting added to the characters instead of taking over. I really liked that. I also liked that the characters in this story were involved with the telegraph machine at rival newspaper offices, which was interesting and helped to create some of the tension. There was also another side plot, which contributed to the intrigue and suspense in the story.

Romantic tension also plays a part in Lucy and Colin's story, and I really loved the way that the characters didn't fight their attraction to one another. However, circumstances didn't allow them to pursue one another the way they would've liked. The honesty that they had with one another, even if it showed their personal weaknesses, was refreshing. 

The way the plot was woven together, with a lot of layers that were revealed a piece at a time, kept me turning pages and built up the suspense. I loved the way that a dangerous situation that Lucy was involved in helped her to have a moment of self-discovery and affected the outcome of the story. Her journey also affected the way Colin saw the direction his life was going.

I would definitely recommend this to fans of historical Christian fiction. An excellent story!

**I am grateful for a copy of this novel so that I could share an honest review, which I did.**

No comments: