Saturday, April 7, 2018

Reviewer's bookshelf: The Accidental Guardian by Mary Connealy


Book summary (Goodreads): Trace Riley has been self-appointed guardian of the trail ever since his own wagon was attacked. When he finds the ruins of a wagon train, he offers shelter to survivor Deborah Harkness and the children she saved. Trace and Deborah grow close working to bring justice to the trail, but what will happen when the attackers return to silence the only witness?

My thoughts...This book has all the things I love about a Mary Connealy western. Well, it may not have as much female sass that I love in some of her older books, but I am still in love with these new characters and storyline. But let me mention this cover. So different from Connealy's previous covers...and I love it! A great capture of this story and hopefully of what's to come. 

I'm going to get a little giddy for a moment. I basically read this book in less than 24 hours. I couldn't put it down! I have been reading this author's books for so long now, some of which I've reread because I loved them so much. Connealy knows how to amp up the romantic tension in a way that keeps it clean but fun. In The Accidental Guardian, the character I loved most was Trace. His vulnerability just leapt off the page, yet he had a complexity that gave him room to grow through the story. The story begins when Trace picked up Deb, her sister, and the children they were protecting and took them in after their wagon train was attacked. Deb was the heroine in this story, showing courage in the midst of hardship and heartache. She wasn't the gun slinging, sassy female that I tend to lean towards, but her perseverance, and quiet strength really complemented Trace's character. 

This novel is obviously the beginning of a new series, so don't be too disappointed if it leaves you wanting more at the end. I can't wait to read what is going to happen next! I would definitely recommend this book. 

Personal takeaway...God can redeem any person or situation. If we put it all in His hands, He is the true Guardian of our hearts and lives.

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley so that I could share my personal opinions. I was not required to give a positive review.**

4 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

Hi Stacey! I'm so glad you enjoyed The Accidental Guardian. Book #2, The Reluctant Warrior, comes in October 2018

Tamara Cooper said...

I'm reading this book right now but haven't finished it yet. It is VERY good!

The Great Adventure said...

Yay, Mary!! I can't wait to read what's going to happen next. I also look forward to getting to know these characters even more : ).

The Great Adventure said...

Isn't it great, Tamara?! I really love these characters and storyline!