Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Favorite Children's Author: Lois Ehlert

I've mentioned Lois Ehlert before, and I couldn't wait to mention these two books we checked out from the library a few weeks ago. Lois Ehlert's books are not only easy to read with kids but they're also educational. At the end of these two books, she includes facts about some of the things we see. In Market Day, her story is told through folk art. There are images of different types of people going to market, buying their goods, and traveling home. At the end of the book, Ehlert tells us where these different pieces of folk art were made and little facts about the pieces. I love that special touch! I think if you aren't able to see folk art and show your children live pieces of this type of art, this is a great way to expose them to it!

I think Feathers for Lunch was my favorite of the two books. The story was so cute and if I remember correctly, was told in rhyme. The text was short, so very appropriate for small children. Ehlert features several different types of birds in the story, and again, at the end, she shows the illustration of each type of bird and tells us what each bird is. This would be a fun way to expose your child to bird watching or talk about birds in your area of the US or world. I loved it!

What are some of your children's book favs? I'd love to know. I'm always looking for more fun books to read! We have story time during our school day and I love to read different types of books to the girls. Happy reading and God bless!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

LOVE HER! she is one of my favorites too!