Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Playing with the handbells

I started playing the flute when I was 9 years old. My reasoning for picking the flute for elementary school band was pretty practical...I knew I was getting braces and the person describing each instrument mentioned you could play it with braces. At the time that seemed good to me. So off I started in our little band. Of course, I sounded rough at first, but over the years, with the help of private lessons, I got better. I kept playing on through high school and I even tried out for a music scholarship at Berry. I didn't get it, but I know why. God had other plans! I ended up becoming a teacher, but I still took private lessons at Berry and played in the flute choir. I really enjoyed that. I took a pretty long break while I was in Thailand and didn't play much, but after I got married and moved to Eastman I started playing again. I've really enjoyed playing at church under the direction of our music minister, Clay Layfield. Clay is a lot of fun and always chooses music that is fun to play (well, most of the time : )) and most importantly, worships the Lord and gives him glory. This past Sunday, myself and the other flute player at our church, Christy, played a duet with the handbell choir. I love listening to the handbells! This was a treat to get to play with them. So...without further delay...here is our performance!



Hope you enjoy! I wanted to make a quick mention that in a previous post where I reviewed "Within My Heart" by Tamera Alexander, I mentioned that I had requested the book to review from Bethany House but had not received it yet. Well, I jumped the gun because I received it the other day! Thanks, Bethany House!
Coming soon...posts about some of our library books we just checked out. If you haven't noticed...I'm a HUGE Lois Ehlert fan! More to come!

No comments: