Sunday, September 23, 2012

Remembering Joe's Mom

I really love this picture of Joe's mom, Nell Daniel.  I like that it has "Love, Nell" signed on it.  Kind of neat.  When I met her, she was further along in years and was beginning to have some health issues.  We learned shortly after we were married that she was struggling with Alzheimer's. When Joe's father passed away, it wasn't long until Mrs. Daniel was unable to stay at home for care and went to a nursing home.  I don't like Alzheimer's...what a terrible disease.  Joe and I would occassionally take the kids up to visit her and other friends we had at the nursing home.  Sophie would go up to "Granny" and give her hugs, kisses, and try to talk with her.  One thing I love about my Sophie girl is her sensitivity to the elderly and her willingness to talk to them, give them hugs, and bring a little joy into their lives. 
I've learned from others just how many lives Mrs. Daniel touched through her many years as a school teacher and as a wife to a pastor and Director of Missions for our county.  She and Joe's dad opened their home to family members that needed a place to stay and often ministered to those in need.  Joe was talking tonight about the fact that she and his dad were married when she was 27 (the same age I was when Joe and I got married).  The Daniel family was blessed with 4 children, 3 boys and 1 girl, and pretty much adopted Joe's first cousin, Dan, as he lived with them for a while when he was growing up.  This is such a great example to me as I think about how often I think, "oh, I wouldn't have enough room to have someone come and stay with us" or "we need a bigger house to do that."  Both Mr. and Mrs. Daniel didn't let a smaller sized house and limited resources prevent them from opening their home and lives to others.  
I wish I could've know both Mr. and Mrs. Daniel better.  Their legacy is passed on to many others, including my husband who has followed in his father's footsteps to become a pastor.  I'm sure in the following days I'll learn more about Mrs. Daniel as we talk to friends and family members coming in for the funeral.  I hope to take what I learn so that I can tell our children about her when they are old enough to remember.
I also wanted to take a moment and say thank you to all of you who have been lifting our family up in your prayers and taking a moment to send us a card, facebook message, texts, and more to minister to us.  This has been an usually challenging year for us for many reasons.  All I can say is, the Lord has provided for us over and over again in the midst of it all, in so many detailed ways.  Even now I sense His supernatural peace in my life.  I feel so blessed for all of you who the Lord has put into our lives.  
Please continue to pray for us~Stacey 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stacey...You wrote such a sweet tribute to Joe's mom! She sounds like an amazing woman!! It was so interesting to read about her as I, too, wish I could have known her more.
Love you, Mom