Monday, June 17, 2013

Thank you Better Homes and Gardens!

It was time for me to cook a good meal.  We've been living off of sandwiches and other simple fare, which there's nothing wrong with that...we just needed a good, hearty meal.  I had also defrosted some chicken and  ground turkey, so I had a few options.  I think the fam was tired of spaghetti, so I thought...what about chicken pot pie?  

The problem: me and chicken pot pie haven't had a good relationship.  Just when I think I'm going to have a great turn-out...something is not right.  I think a big problem is that I try to go rogue and not use a recipe.  Another bad idea.  I'm just a recipe girl.  I can't help it.  I am trying to work on my cooking instincts...I mean I watch enough Food Network that I should know how to prepare just about anything.  That theory is not quite playing out just yet.  

So I pick up my handy Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  It was one thing I wanted from the time I was little and saw my Mom always using it. "Chicken Potpies" was right there on pg. 406.  I gave it a shot.  I also made a homemade pie crust from the same cookbook.  I don't usually keep already-made crusts on hand, but I do always have flour, coconut oil (which can substitute for shortening), and other ingredients.  The results: I was so excited because I think this is the best potpie I've ever made!

Chicken potpies (I just did one, but you can make several small ones with this recipe)
from: Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
1 10 oz package of frozen peas and carrots (I used the frozen mixed veggies)
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (I didn't use these)
1/4 cup margarine or butter (I think I used more like a tablespoon)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp dried sage, marjoram, or thyme, crushed (my sage looked kind of weird to me, so I didn't use any extra spice.  I did add 1 large chopped garlic clove, though)
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups chicken broth (I used some that I had left over from cooking a chicken a little while back)
3/4 cup milk
3 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey (I cooked a small pack of organic chicken tenders...so it wasn't a full 3 cups)
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley (no...didn't have this one, either)
1/4 cup diced pimiento (?--if that's pimento...yuck!  Didn't add that! : ))

1. Prepare pastry.  Set aside.  Cook frozen veggies according to package. (I'll put the pastry recipe I used after this recipe)
2.  In a saucepan cook onion and mushrooms in margarine or butter till tender. (right before I added the flour I put my garlic in a cooked it for about a minute)  Stir in flour, salt, sage, marjoram, or thyme and pepper.  Add chicken broth and milk all at once.  Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. (this takes a little while) Stir in drained veggies, chicken, or turkey, parsley, and pimiento; cook till bubbly.
3.  Pour mixture into six 10 oz casseroles (or use a 2 qt rectangular baking dish. (I used a regular pyrex pie dish)
4. (the following is directions for the individual pies) Roll pastry into a 15x10 in rectangle.  Cut into six 5-inch circles and place atop the 10 oz casseroles. (or roll into a 13x9 in rectangle and place it over the rectangular dish) Flute edges of pastry and cut slits in the top for steam to escape.  Bake in a 450 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till pastry is golden brown.  Makes 6 servings.

Yum!  I think ours would've been even tastier with some spices, but it was still very good.  And one of the things that made it so good was the flaky crust!  I did a double-crust pie.

Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
2 cups all purpose flour (I used King Arthur's white-wheat)
2/3 cup shortening (I used coconut oil in its solid form!)
6 to 7 tablespoons of cold water
1/2 tsp salt

1.  Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender (my pastry blender was a fork : )), cut in shortening till pieces are pea-size.
2.  Sprinkle 1 tablespoon at a time of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork.  Push moistened dough to side of bowl.  Repeat, using 1 tbsp water at a time, till all the dough is moistened. Divide in half.  Form each half into a ball.
3.  On lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball.  Roll from center to edges into 12 in. circle.
4.  To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin (aka--large glass), unroll into a 9 in. pie plate.  Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.  Transfer filling to pasty-lined pie plate.  Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.
5.  Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.  Cut slits to allow steam to escape.  Place remaining pastry on filling, trim 1/2 in beyond the edge of plate.  Fold top pastry under bottom pastry.Crimp edge as desired.  Bake as directed in individual recipes.  Makes 8 servings.

This crust turned out light and almost flaky.  It was really good!  I love using coconut oil!  

We also made a cake tonight with my little chef, Isaac.  It was fun...and it turned out good!  I'm waiting right now for it to cool so I can ice it.  And my icing...I did Wilton's buttercream....but I substituted coconut oil for the shortening!  There was a slight difference in taste...and I didn't use as much powdered sugar...but it was still very good!  

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: