Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Author Melanie Dickerson on writing, faith, and a recipe!

Melanie Dickerson is the author of The Healer's Apprentice and The Merchant's Daughter, both Christy Award finalists, winner of The National Reader's Choice Award for 2010's Best First Book, and winner of the 2012 Carol Award in Young Adult fiction.  Her newest book, The Fairest Beauty, is a retelling of the fairytale "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". She earned her bachelor's degree in special education from The University of Alabama. She has taught children with special needs in Georgia and Tennessee, and English to adults in Germany and Ukraine. Now she spends her time writing and taking care of her husband and two daughters near Huntsville, Alabama.

In 2012 I had the joy and privilege of meeting Melanie while she was visiting Atlanta (yes, I was pregnant : )).  It is really amazing to me that I have been able meet and connect with such a wonderful author!  When I read Melanie's first book, "The Healer's Apprentice," I loved the storyline and the connection she made with a classic fairytale and the Christian faith.  At the end of the book there was an email address in which you could send a message to the author.  I immediately wrote her and told her how much I enjoyed her book and how I was interested in writing.  A month or so later, I had an email in my inbox...from Melanie!  She encouraged me in my writing endeavors and has since offered me so much help, encouragement, and advice.  I honestly would not have gotten very far without her mentorship.  When I asked her if I could feature her and her books on my blog, she graciously agreed!  I hope you enjoy getting to know Melanie.  I would definitely encourage you to pick up her books.  They are considered Young Adult, so even your teens will enjoy her tales of love, adventure, and faith.

1. When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?
I wanted to be a writer when I was in about the 7th grade, and I wrote two novels while I was still in high school. I quit writing completely when I started college, but I started writing again about 15 years later. I instantly fell in love with it again.

2. What was the first step you took to begin your writing career?
Ten years ago I took a writing course. I had not written any fiction for about 15 years.

3. If you could give a piece of advice to an aspiring writer, what would it be?
I would say, never give up. Keep writing and learning and submitting your work.

4. Tell us about the books you've had published, particularly your most recent.
I have three books out now. The third is The Fairest Beauty, a retelling of the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs fairy tale. It is a romance and a historical, set in Medieval Europe, and I give the “prince” a lot more of a role in this story than he had in the Disney version. (Here is the trailer)


5. What inspired you to write retellings of our favorite fairy tales?
I was watching the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty with my daughter one day and thought it would be cool to take the basic premise of the story and flesh it out and make it more realistic, and set in a realistic Medieval setting. It was so much fun, I decided I would do a whole series of fairy tale retellings.

6. How has your faith in God affected the stories you write?
My faith in God is the defining aspect of my life and my thinking, so it’s virtually impossible to write from my heart, which I strive to do, and not include God in the story. God is a big part of any Christian’s story, and since my characters are Christian, He is a big part of their lives. God is the instigator of positive motives and attitudes, and the instigator for change when something needs to be changed.

7. What is your favorite recipe?
That’s a hard question, since I like to cook. Here is a country style salsa recipe that I love. Wonderful with tortilla chips.

Purple Hull Pea Salsa
1 can Bush’s Purple Hull Peas, drained
1 can corn, drained
2 cans diced tomatoes (one of them basil, garlic, oregano flavored)
8 oz. Italian dressing (I use the Good Seasons packets)
Chopped onion to taste
Chopped jalapeno to taste (I didn’t use any)
Tortilla chips

Mix all ingredients together and marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 ½ hours.

8. Where can readers find you on the internet?
I am on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MelanieDickersonBooks and my website is www.MelanieDickerson.com.

Thank you so much, Melanie!  And readers....never hesitate to give an author encouragement for their hard work!  If a story inspires you, ministers to you, or motivates you in some way, I know that most authors would love to hear about it.  I have definitely been blessed by the books Melanie and other Christian fiction authors have written, as well as having personal interactions with them. 

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Melanie Dickerson said...

Thanks, Stacey!!!!!!! Thanks for not getting fed up with me taking so long to get this done! :-) You are a sweetheart!!! God bless you in all your writing endeavors, including this fun blog!

The Great Adventure said...

Melanie...it's a joy for me to do this...and the timing was just right! : ) I know you've been busy and I can't wait to see more of your upcoming book. Thanks for your blessings and encouragement!