Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Doughnut Love...with a recipe : )

We went to the lake for a few days last weekend and spent some time with my bestie and her family.  It was great fun.  One thing I noticed, though, was that my kids went crazy to try and have some of those powdered  white doughnuts.  You know what I'm talking about.  All of our minds are picturing that little bag with the piles of powdered sugar doughnuts inside.  Well, I don't buy those.  I know what would happen.  We would all go into a sugared doughnut feeding frenzy.  But don't worry.  I'm not going to act like I've never bought them before.  Or Krispy Kremes...oh, yeah, I've never bought those ; ).  So we're all doughnut fans but in my quest to be healthy I've stopped buying a lot of that stuff.  I guess this weekend made me realize how much my kids did like doughnuts and that it would be fun to try and find a healthy doughnut alternative.  I've seen plenty of Pinterest ideas, but haven't even attempted.  Honestly it kind of intimidates me.  

Yesterday we did a trip to Kroger (which doesn't happen but every couple of weeks because the nearest one is about 40 minutes away).  I found lots of organic goodies on "Manager's Special".  I love that orange sticker.  : )  One of the things I found was this little treat....and in my mind this is a splurge, even if it is marked down.  An older lady who was browsing the discount aisle too totally convinced me that as a mother of small children, I just had to get this.  Let's just say it was in my buggy before our conversation ended : ).

Last night I was browsing the little recipe book that came with it and the first recipe looked VERY doable...especially since I just found organic sour cream on Manager's Special (yay!).  

Sour Cream Donuts (from the Babycakes recipe book)
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur's white wheat)
1/3 cup sugar (I used my 100% real cane sugar...no GMOs)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used the organic stuff!)
1 egg (organic also)
1 teaspoon vanilla (pure)
Directions:
(this is specifically for the doughnut maker, so I'm not sure how to do it without one)
1. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. In separate bowl whisk together remaining ingredients, except glaze or topping.  Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients.  Using a mixer on medium speed, blend until smooth.
3.  Fill each cooking reservoir with about 2 TBS of batter.
4.  Bake about 4 to 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into donut comes out clean.
5. Glaze or coat with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar, as desired.

And here they are!

Honestly, they are delish just by themselves, but I still added a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon and a little brown sugar to them.  The kids and I have been munching.  This baked doughnut is very exciting to me...a decent alternative to the fried or totally sugar covered kind.  If any of you have any good doughnut recipes...I'd love to hear them!

I just had to include this picture, too : ).  My son is a Thomas train-a-holic.  He loves to set up his tracks everywhere...and I mean everywhere...in the house.  They are on the kitchen counter, in front of the tv, on the dining room table.  And this kid is fast.  He had this set up in less than 5 minutes while I was trying to cook the doughnuts.  I can't complain too much, though, because he was sharing with his little brother and keeping him entertained, too.

A new food adventure!  Let the doughnut making begin! : )

No comments: