Monday, May 27, 2013

Mommy Camp

Summer time is here and our church always participates in a co-ed softball league with other churches in the community.  It's a fun time of sports and fellowship.  I've played two different seasons, and when the time came to sign up for this season, I talked to the hubby and asked if I could play.  He has always been supportive, so he said sure.  So I'm signed up....and I'm out of shape!

I'm going to get real here....I'm still carrying around a good portion of baby weight from last year.  Ugh.  I don't like it.  I've been changing our eating habits, but the weight just sticks like glue.  I think part of my problem is that I haven't gone there...to the next level.  I haven't felt the major hunger pains.  I'm not getting enough sleep.  I'm probably not drinking enough water....etc.,etc.  I think getting out there and doing some fun group sports can help jumpstart my exercise.  But like I said...I'm out of shape...big time!

I've got two weeks until the games begin.  In light of that...I decided to start Mommy Training Camp...aka Mommy Camp.  I don't want to look like a crazy person when I'm trying to run to first base...given that I'll be hitting the ball.  I also don't want to feel like my legs are going to fall off after our first game (which has happened every time!).  I asked my hubby to be my trainer.  Here's how Day 1 went:

*warm up--stretching, jumping jacks, jogging in place
*sprints--we opened up the stopwatch on my phone and took turns timing each other how fast we could run from the fence on one side of the yard to the swing set...the distance we're estimating it is from home plate to first base.  Each family member did it at least three times.  Except Seth, of course. : )  We tried to beat our previous times. 
*Joe and I took turns running around our little storage house in the back yard.  Joe did 5 laps, I did 3.  I told you I was out of shape ; )

That concluded Mommy Camp for tonight...but we're planning on doing it every day for the next 2 weeks.  Sophie looked up at me when we were close to the end and said, "Mom, after Mommy Camp can we go in and play Wii?  I'm tired!" : )  I'm glad that we can all get involved in the training and the kids are getting outside and running around with us.

Prayers appreciated for Mommy Camp 2013 : ).  I'll need it! 

2 comments:

Edie S. said...

I'm with you on the desperately needing to get in shape! Mommy Camp is a great idea! My plan for the summer is to attempt the Couch to 5K program with a few friends. Our first go at it will be this evening!

The Great Adventure said...

Just last weekend someone mentioned starting out doing couch to 5K. Now she's lost a ton of weight and is running 10 miles a morning! I honestly can't fathom being able to do that...but it definitely interested me. I think it's a great place to start. Keep me posted on how it goes...I may try it after softball season! : )