Saturday, May 11, 2013

A 5K with my friends...

Today was race day.  Our little town hosted its second annual "Out of the Darkness" one mile and 5K race to benefit Wellspring Living, a center that serves survivors of childhood sexual abuse and exploitation.
My friends, Jennifer, LeeAnn, and I all signed up to do the 5K race...even though we weren't really planning to do a whole lot of running.  I feel that I am probably the most out of shape of the three of us...even though Jennifer's youngest is just 5 mos. old.  Girlfriend has done well since her little one was born!  All three of us have small children (Jennifer--3 kids; LeeAnn--4 boys; Me--3 kiddos, too) and are in the same general place in life right now.  We want to minister to those in our churches and community, and saw this as an opportunity to support a cause that reaches beyond our town and throughout the world. 

I heard recently that Atlanta, GA was one of the top...if not THE top...city for sexual abuse and exploitation.  Crazy, right?  It is a battle that reaches beyond this physical world and into the spiritual realm.  A prayer was offered up today that many would experience freedom from this type of bondage and that God would do a might work through our prayers and efforts. 

So back to the 5K.  This was actually a big deal for me.  For years now I've wanted to do a 5K.  Before I got pregnant with Seth, I had begun to train...running when I could and building up my time.  My friend Leslie and I did my first ever race together...a 1 mile.  But in my heart I've always just wanted to take the plunge and do a 5K.  This race was coming up and in my heart...even though I haven't been exercising much...I wanted to try it.  I felt confident I would be able to walk the whole thing.  I just knew it would take a while.  Thankfully I have some good friends who wanted to walk, too.  This was a great time of fellowship for us.  We were able to talk and catch up--it was so encouraging to me.  We were keeping a pretty steady pace, too.  We thought we would never make it in less than an hour.  Right at the end we decided to jog the rest of the way.  By doing that, we all made it right under an hour.  What a blessing! 

When I got home and started talking to my hubby about it there were a lot of thoughts and feelings.  Like I said, this was kind of a big deal for me.  When the girls and I were talking, we said something about where we were this time a year ago.  I mentioned that I had just had Seth (he was about 2 mos old around this time last year).  But a lot more was going through my mind.  By this time last year I knew that there was a lump on my esophagus and that it was serious.  Serious enough that by June of last year I had to have a biopsy.  The rest of the story is something many of you know...but just to recap I proceeded to have two surgeries, at least two "scary" phone calls with doctors telling me that I had cancer, and a swirl of emotions, physical and emotional pain, and it really would take me forever to say all of the challenging details of the year.  I told my husband that I was just glad that I made it.  I made it through that race today and I've pressed on and run the race that the Lord has set before me last year...and I'm here!  And I couldn't have done it without SO MANY people praying for us and ministering to us.  I don't think I have ever felt so loved and God's hand on us so clearly as it was last year.  I'm still dealing with a few health issues, and my legs are protesting from what I put them through today, but I'm really feeling better than I have in a long time.  Praise God! 

I'm going for my six month check up with the endocrinologist on Monday.  Please pray for me.  I have some concerns that I'm going to address and I pray that everything will go smoothly.  As you can imagine, I still struggle with the thought of some new health issue coming up.  I'm a little overly cautious about aches and pains that I have...definitely more than I used to be.  I'm working on that, and hopefully soon I'll be able to let go of some of these fears.

But today...and tomorrow as I celebrate Mother's Day...I rejoice in seeing where God has brought me.  I have three beautiful, fun children and a husband that I love dearly.  I am blessed.

God bless you!

3 comments:

Keisha said...

Congrats Stacey!!! A 5K is a HUGE accomplishment! I hate that I was able to be in it this year :( This race was my first 5K. Kerri & I did it together. It felt soooo good to cross that finish line ;) This is also a Wonderful Ministry that is WELL deserving the proceeds! HArd to believe we live only 2 hrs. from ATL.. where all this Evil is taking place. :(

Melody said...

Wonderful post, Stacey. Thank you for sharing your journey, and praise God for your improved health! :)

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks, ladies! God is SO GOOD! I'm so thankful I made it through that day : ). Lord willing, I'm going to do it again next year : ).