Monday, March 3, 2014

Q activities and CC week 17

Last week I was wiped out...therefore, no blog post.  The week didn't go nearly as smoothly.  I'm back in the game this week despite the fact that I'm still kind of tired.  I've been doing a new crossfit-style workout at 6am three days a week...and it's doing exactly what it's supposed to.  Wearing me out, strengthening muscles that haven't been used in quite a while, and helping me lose some weight.  Yay!  My kids have also started jujitsu classes three nights a week and are enjoying it.  I'm just thankful that God has provided a way for our whole family to get some much needed exercise for FREE!  Amazing.  Only God could orchestrate that!

Last week I did Letter P with the preschoolers, so I wanted to briefly recap what we did.  We all liked the activity.  I let "P" stand for prince and princesses, so we got some free Burger King crowns and decorated them with stickers that I bought at the dollar store.  The kids loved it.  Then I wrote "P is for prince/princess" on the inside.  We also read the story, "The Princess and the Pea".  I really wanted to bring some Barbies or some other dolls and act it out for the kids...but I didn't get it together in time.  That would've been fun, though.  Another great book is "The Princess and the Kiss"...a treasure for little girls.

This week I taught letter Q.  We read a little story about Queen Esther that was right on the kids' level.  I also had a coloring sheet that I got for free from education.com. It's a great place for free worksheets.  I brought a small quilt for the kids to sit on during our class time and they just loved it.  We also had a "picnic" for snack time on the quilt.  We talked about question marks, quiver (of arrows), quail, and you could also talk about the quarter. At first I didn't know if there would be much other than queen for the letter Q, so it was nice to find some other fun activities.

Week 17
History--WWII leaders
*Free coloring page of Churchill, Stalin, and Roosevelt.
*Dressing up with Sola Gratia Mom group and doing some experiments with Newton's Second Law
*Every day of WWII...sped through and showing on the map which power controlled different parts of the world
*Horrible Histories!

*Four WWII Horrible History videos
*Winston Churchill biography

*Tojo of Japan biography
*Hitler biography (shows brief images towards the end of dead bodies from the Holocaust)
*Stalin biography (also shows very brief images of dead bodies from a distance)
*History Sentences video for weeks 13-24 (LOVE THIS!!)
Moving on...
Geography--Central Europe



Geometry--area of a square 
*This video also includes the area of a rectangle



Science--Newton's second law
*Make Me Genius video
*I like this one better:

English--nouns
*First grade "Noun Town" worksheets from www.education.com (free!)

Fine Arts--Degas
*Dancers at the Barre free coloring sheet (also from education.com)
*Ballerina free color sheet and short Degas bio
*Nice 3D Monet and Degas art projects from Sola Gratia Mom

And there we have it!  Plenty to keep us busy this week!  : )  Hope you all have a blessed one~

No comments: