Monday, February 10, 2014

Valentine treats, letter O, and week 15

Today was our CCH (Classical Christian Homeschoolers) day and we had our Valentine's party.  It was a lot of fun and I'm so glad my kids get to experience little parties like this with friends.  I wanted to share what we did for our Valentine's and a treat I made that was cute, yummy, and easy! I will say that I referred to Pinterest for all of my ideas! : )
Valentine treats:
Valentines Day Marshmallow Pops
I made these easy marshmallow pops for a treat.  They were super easy...my 7 year old helped me make them...and I got great reviews from the kids at the party ; ).  I had leftover chocolate from the candy melts so I popped it into some molds I had. Delish!

Valentine cards:
*I think these free Scripture cards and bag toppers are so cute!  In our small town there aren't a lot of options for Valentine cards at the store and I personally love the inclusion of scripture, so these are a great option!
*Click here for the cute scripture valentine cards that we used. There were 6 to a page, so I didn't have to print a lot for our group of 24 kids.

For my kiddos:
I thought these free Valentine coupons would be cute to give the kids this week.  Some fun ideas for things to do/treats for each child and the whole family.

Letter O:
We had fun in our 3-5 year old class today with letter O.  Here are a few of the things we did, plus some other ideas.
*Octopus--we happen to have a stuffed octopus, so I counted the amount of legs with the kids and then we played sort of a hot potato game with some fun music.  They seemed to like it : ).  There are so many cute octopus crafts, too!  Making a paper octopus with a toilet roll, a big letter O with octopus legs coming off of it, etc.
*Ocean--an octopus lives in the ocean...great transition!  We talked about the ocean a little (there's lots of ways to expand on it) and I just happened to have some foamy stickers with ocean animals and plant life.  So we made ocean pictures and the kids REALLY loved that!
*Oranges--the color and the fruit.  We didn't cover this, but I plan to talk about it this week since we happen to have an orange.  Nice treat!
*Owl--talk about the animal and you could do a craft/coloring sheet
*Olympics!--the perfect time to watch some events and talk about it.  Here is a free O is for Olympics printable in which you decorate it with Fruit Loops.  What a great idea! 
*oatmeal--for breakfast or you could make oatmeal cookies (my kiddos would probably love to do those) : )

Week 15:
History--World War I countries
*Some of the resources from my last post would be great for this week as well.  Here are a few more to go with them:
*Wonderful resource--free worksheets, maps, and explanations for WWI
Cycle 2, week 15 -- American Weapons of WWI
Some more "Horrible Histories" videos:



*This one is a little more crass/disgusting...but apparently true!  Lice and food in WWI video
*25 Interesting Things You Did Not Know About WWI


*Timeline of events leading up to WWI and beyond from annefrank.org.
*German trench warfare features
*video: WWI summary too complicated for my little ones, but would be good for older children...and parents (like me!) who want to know more about the war and can break down the info to younger kids
***The more I watch/read, the more amazed I am that I knew so little about this war!  It's crazy all that went on...and how many deaths occurred!***

Geography--Middle East


Science--Kinetic/potential energy

Activities to do for kinetic/potential energy...and some sentence dress up ideas

English--4 purposes of sentences
*info on 4 types of sentences


Fine Arts--Gainsborough



And that's all I have, friends!  Hope it's helpful! : )


No comments: