Thursday, August 21, 2014

Discovering the Civil War in Georgia

Right around weeks 11 and 12 of Cycle 3, we'll be studying the Civil War.  I knew that Andersonville, which is the site of a former Civil War prison, was not far from us and would be a great place to do a field trip...and it's free!  As I started researching, I found several other neat things that you could do in Georgia so I thought I'd put them all together in case anyone else was interested. : )

Another thing I found out while researching is that this is the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War, so there are some special things going on.  Even if you're not doing Classical Conversations, this would still be a great opportunity for your family to learn more about the Civil War.

*The National Park Service is a good place to start to find some good field trip info.  Andersonville is a national park that is free to the public.  Field trips there have to be arranged at least 3 weeks in advance, but there are programs for K-5th grade, 6-12th grade, and college groups.  The field trips can be self-guided but the arranged ones are led by a ranger.  I also saw links on the park service site for all types of learning tours and field trips at various parks in Georgia, including lesson plans for teachers.

*Another helpful site was The Civil War in Georgia.  There are so many interesting things to do in Georgia related to the Civil War...I had no idea!  One that particularly interests me is a Civil War reenactment.  I really wanted to try to find one so the kids could get an idea of what it was like.  I found one on the events page entitled 150th Anniversary for the Battle of Atlanta.  The link led me to the site "The Atlanta Campaign," which has a really interesting weekend planned that's all about the Civil War and a battle that took place there.  Here is the event schedule for the weekend...and it even includes a lady's tea!  How neat! On Friday, Sept. 19th from 9am to 1 pm there is a student day that allows the kids to come through and talk to the different reenactors (?) at different stations.  The battle starts that evening around 6:30.

*In Macon, GA there are some historical homes that were built before the Civil War and were involved in the action happening during that time.  The Cannonball House offers educational school programs and tours throughout the year.  The Hay House also has tours and educational programs offered throughout the year, including "Hay Day" in which you can do fun activities with your children and admission is free!  When I was in high school I was a volunteer tour guide at the Hay House and can testify that it is a wonderful piece of history that would be worth the trip!  I've only been inside the lobby of the 1842 Inn and it's worth just stopping by to peek in.  If you enjoy staying at B&B's, this inn would be one to consider!






Here is a map of the Civil War battle sites in Georgia.






It's amazing how much history is around us...right here in Georgia!  

2 comments:

Edie S. said...

I remember going to Civil War reenactments when I was little, and I thought it was so neat!

The Great Adventure said...

I think I may have been to one when I was a kid, but I'm not sure. I think that will be really neat for the kids. History coming to life is so cool to me! I love field trips! :-)