Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week 2 of Cycle 3...the Pilgrims, the axial skeleton, present participles and more!

Last week we had a great start back into our school routine, even though we had a lot going on in our personal lives.  Doctor's appointments, a funeral, and other things...but that's the beauty of homeschooling. You can be adaptable and your schedule can flip all around and you can still get things done.  Flexibility is definitely a key part of it.

Even if we don't get everything accomplished that I plan, I do feel like my kids are learning a lot!  So I'm just going to jump right in and post as much as I can find for this week.  I know it helps me to have all of this on one location, and I hope it helps you, too!

History: Pilgrims
Great little School House Rock video:

*Tour of the Mayflower II...a replica of the original Mayflower
*Nice video depicting the signing of the Mayflower Compact

*Go to www.plimoth.org to check out some interesting things, like how to talk like a Pilgrim or print a coloring sheet
*Virtual field trip of Plimoth Plantation (about a 30 min video)
*There are so many videos and info about this topic!  I think these will give you a good start and if you're interested in more you can search Google, Pinterest, or YouTube.

Science: axial skeleton
*Very detailed description of the axial skeleton with diagram
*Cool site with flashcards of parts of the skeleton. I printed the large cards...can't wait to use them!
*Great ideas on this blog post at Spell Out Loud

Geography: states and capitals
*We'll continue to do our states/capitals flash cards and song that I posted here

English: present participle
Great explanation of present and past participles

Latin: conjunctions
I can't find any printables or videos for this week! : (  If anyone finds anything I would love to know about it.

Fine Arts:
We're supposed to be doing some drawing these first six weeks.  I know there are some good tutorials on YouTube on how to do various drawing techniques, but the kids and I LOVE the site Art for Kids.  I've mentioned it on a previous blog post, but I really can't say enough about how fun and kid friendly it is.  Not only do they feature drawing, but also painting and sculpting.  Highly recommend it!  Here is an example (for all of you Ninja Turtle fans):


On a personal note....
We also include Bible time in our school routine and this year we've started out with using The Big Picture Interactive Storybook Bible.  I really like the way it's set up and how it covers the Bible thoroughly.  Here is a sample page:




It's interactive in that you can download a free app that will scan a picture or a scan code thing (not sure what those things are called) and it will make the page become almost 3-D or show a special video.  We're enjoying it so far!




Hope all of you have a great week!

No comments: