Sunday, August 23, 2015

Classical Conversations Cycle 1, Week 2

Sunday afternoons are turning into my homeschool planning days, so I'd love to share with you a few things we're doing for Cycle 1, Week 2 in our Classical Conversations curriculum.

Latin: I saved the cards we used for Cycle 1 when we did it a couple of years ago and they still look great!  I was just going over to the blog Suzanne Shares to find them...and boom...she has a brand new blog post with all the Latin card printables in one spot!  Click here to get these great free printables!


Geography: I'm loving our newest Usborne book, along with another Usborne book we bought about 6 years ago, to look at some of the places in our memory work.  In the picture atlas, the kids love the flaps and different illustrations on each page.  There are some specifics that I'm not able to find as well, so for more detailed areas on the map I refer to the Encyclopedia of World Geography.  It's filled with lots of maps and information from basically every part of the world!  Lots of very interesting info!


Science: We're going to use the animal cards I printed last week along with watching another Baby Einstein video about animal habitats.  Yes, my kids are a little old for Baby Einstein, but they liked the real life animal pictures we saw on another video last week and the one we'll watch this week categorizes them as well.

History:  In years past I haven't tested the kids on CC material, but I thought this year we would try a weekly evaluation on each history sentence.  I really want this info to stick!  This week we will wrap up learning the 10 commandments.  The Go Fish Guys singing group also has a fun song about the 10 commandments that we've also been listening to.



Timeline: I didn't do so well last year with the Timeline stuff, but I'm trying to at least hit on a few of the Timeline aspects one day/week.  We're also listening to the Timeline song more often.  I think the Timeline song is fantastic and definitely one that I hope sticks in my kids' memory!  I'm using some other Usborne books that bought just to hit a few highlights, but the main one is the Encyclopedia of the Ancient World. It has A LOT of information, so I pick and choose little segments to share with the kids.  I find it fascinating.  They're kind of in and out at this age, but if they remember a little bit I'm happy : ).  Keeping it real.



Hope you all have a great week!!




No comments: