Thursday, June 27, 2013

Delicious zucchini bread

The first time I ordered zucchini for our organic produce box, I wasn't 100% sure what to do with it.  I'd never cooked it before.  I'm not a big squash fan, so I didn't want to cook it that way.  I like the stir-fried zucchini at the Japanese restaurants, so I thought that might work.  Then I ran across this recipe for zucchini bread.  Hello!  It's delicious!  I also go ahead and shred all of my zucchini at once and store the leftovers in the fridge and use it for other things.  Last time I threw about a handful of the shredded zucchini in my spaghetti sauce.  No one knew and they all ate it up : ).  This time I think I'm going to add some to my ground beef that I'm cooking to put in some wonton wrappers I have.  We'll see how that turns out ; ).  And now...the recipe.

Zucchini bread
3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 2 cups of King Arthur's white wheat and 1 cup of Swan's Down)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 eggs (I used some fresh eggs that friends gave us)
1 cup vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
2 1/4 cups white sugar (I used my unrefined cane sugar with no GMOs)
3 tsp vanilla (I used pure)
2 cups grated zucchini (I used organic)
1 cup chopped walnuts (I didn't even put these in)

Directions:
1. Grease and flour 2 8x4 inch pans.  Preheat oven to 325.
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.  (my version of sifting is stirring it with a fork...lol)
3.  Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl.  Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture and beat well.  Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined.  Pour batter into pans.
4.  Bake 40-60 min (mine has to go for about 60), or until center comes out clean.  Cool on rack or pan for 20 min.

Enjoy!

No comments: