Monday, June 6, 2011

School is out....summer is here!

We had our last day of school a week or so ago. Honestly, it's been a great year--better than I even expected! Homeschooling definitely agreed with all of us. The girls learned so much and did so well...I was SO proud of them! I especially loved the looks on their faces when they learned how to read a word. Priceless!

Our last day we had a water party. I also gave the girls a certificate for completing their first year of pre-k! Great job, girls!




So what's the plan for the summer? Well, one thing I did with the kids one night is let them help me fix supper. Sophie loves to help Mommy cook. On this night, Isaac wanted to help too! So I told them to pull up some chairs and let them spread butter on our toast. They loved it!

Let me be honest here. It is not easy for me to just let go and let them help me. I tend to want to just do it myself because I can go faster and I won't make the mess that they might make. But inside my heart I know that this is the thing that memories, family relationships, and experiences are made of. I have to let go of the way I want it done and let them try. I have to let them start at some point in their lives, and now, while their little faces are lit up with the desire to "help Mommy cook" I want to encourage them. I'm so glad I did. We had a great time together! I asked Joe if he would take a picture of us because I wanted to remember this. I also want to keep it as a reminder to include the children as much as I can in household activities.

So what's going on the rest of the summer? Well, thankfully we have some fun activities planned! The hubby and I are going to a conference in Arizona next week and we plan to drive to Grand Canyon one day!! I can hardly contain my excitement as this will be a great getaway for us as well as an adventure. Joe and I both love to travel, so this is a real treat! The kids will also have a blast spending a week with their grandparents and other family. They always love playing with their cousins and seeing family members. After that, we will be back in Eastman for our church's annual Vacation Bible School. I'll be teaching 6th grade this year. Hopefully everything will go smoothly! After that we head out to Panama City Beach! Woohoo! I know the kids will LOVE the beach. We didn't go last year, so this is Isaac's first year that he is able to run and play in the ocean and sand. I have a feeling that he is going to have a blast. I can't wait, either. It'll be great to spend time with family and get in the water!


I hope you all have a blessed summer and don't get too hot!

No comments: