Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Changing things up

I guess I'm in this weird nesting/home project phase.  I know what it's like to have a newborn in the house, therefore I know how little things will get done.  I'm anticipating being grateful just to keep up laundry and basic cleaning for a while after the baby comes.  I guess I should also say that several of these little projects involve my recruiting unsuspecting friends and family to come help.  For this last little project, I basically watched while my friend, Jennifer, did most of the work.  I must give credit where credit is due.  Thanks, Jen!  She did it much better than I would.  I don't have the patience to measure and make sure everything is centered...which usually means when I do something like that it's off center or sloping down, etc.  You get the picture.  
I have mentioned my beautiful Thailand quilt that my friend made for me.  She suggested that since the fabrics were not 100% cotton, which is ideal for quilting, that I should use it as a wall hanging or something like that so I wouldn't need to wash it much.  If I were to wash it a lot, she said the fabrics could start to unravel.  My mind started thinking...wall hanging.  It's amazing how perfect the colors of the quilt match my living room.  That was completely unplanned when I picked out fabric during my last months in Thailand. 
When I went to Ikea last week, one thing I was looking for was a curtain rod.  I found one...for $7.99!  I was excited about that.  And it matched the other I had on the other side of the room.  As I said, Jennifer helped me measure so that the rod would be centered and everything (and even brought tools!) and in less than 20 minutes we had the quilt hanging!  I love it! 
 We had to make some adjustments, though, to other parts of the room because I had a large picture hanging above the couch.  I thought that this picture (a print by Andrew Wyath...love his work!) would look good on the mantle.  We had an old family portrait there and it was time to update.  This turned out great to me.  I love the size of the framed print and how the flowers and candles go with it so well.
I've got about 7 more weeks until the baby comes, so who knows how many other projects I'll come up with!  Friends and family...you are warned : ). 
Blessings~Stacey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!! Thanks for posting pictures...I love the way it turned out!!
MOM