Thursday, May 31, 2012

Homeschooling ideas

I'm starting to think and plan for homeschooling next year.  There are SO many homeschooling curriculums out there, but my goals are to make it fun and make it cheap!  : )  This year will be different, too.  No Bethany : (.  But we'll be adding Isaac : ).  We'll also be starting Kindergarten, which I feel is like the first official year of school.  My memories of elementary school were mostly fun...especially Kindergarten.  We did lots of fun things...centers, painting, singing, etc.  I can still remember it!  This is what I want for Sophie.  In my efforts to accomplish this, I thought a fun language arts idea we could incorporate is picking various children's books, reading them every day for a week, and doing different fun activities associated with those books.  Ok, I must confess.  I kind of got this idea from the curriculum "Five in a Row".  But there were some great books that I had right here at home that I wanted to do this idea with, so I decided to come up with my own activities and books.  I also thought it would be fun to share what I come up with on this blog!  : ) 
I went through our books tonight and just pulled some that I thought would be fun.  I may have to tweak it some, but I think it's an overall good group of books.  Wait...I just realized I didn't pick any Dr. Seuss.  Gotta fix that!  Anyway, I wanted to share my list and if any of you have any feedback, suggestions, or activity ideas to go along with this, I'd love to hear about it.  I've got my work cut out for me, that's for sure, but in the end I think it'll be worth it!  I'm also going to try and post the book and activities that we do each week here on the blog.  Stay tuned! 
Now for the list...
1. From Head to Toe by Eric Carle


2. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

3. My Great-Aunt Arizona by Gloria Houston

4. The Story of Heidi illustrated by Alan Marks

5. The Usborne Book of Poems for Little Children (select some) collected by Sam Taplin

6. Pie in the Sky by Lois Ehlert

7. Toot and Puddle by Holly Hobbie

8. On Noah's Ark by Jan Brett

9. All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan

10. I Love Saturdays y domingos by Alma Flor Ada

11. If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Joffe Numeroff

12. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

13. Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say

14. Beach Party! by Harriet Ziefert and Simms Taback

15. Camping Out by Heather Amery and Stephen Cartwright

16. Starry Safari by Linda Ashman

17. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett

18. Happy Birthday, Moon by Frank Asch

19. The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush by Tomie de Paola

20. Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme Collection (select some)

21. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr/Eric Carle

22. Dinner at the Panda Palace by Stephanie Calmenson

23. Town Mouse Country Mouse by Jan Brett

24. This is the House that Jack Built by Simms Taback

25. Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox by Grace Maccarone

26. Alphabet City by Stephen T. Johnson

27. Millions of Snowflakes by Mary McKenna Siddals

28. Alligator Baby by Robert Munsch

29. Curious George and the Pizza by Margret/HA Rey

30. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

31. There Was and Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Simms Taback

32. Katie and the Mona Lisa by James Mayhew

33. Cows in the House by Beverly Lewis

34. Clifford Takes a Trip by Norman Bridwell

35. How Big is a Million? by Anna Milbourne and Serena Riglietti

36. Then and Now (Usborne)

I appreciate any input!  Blessings~Stacey

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Who took the Farmers Hat?
Caps For Sale
Frog and Toad
Peter Rabbit
Runaway Bunny

These were some of Paul's favorites.

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks, Paige! I haven't read Who Took the Farmers Hat? That sounds good! I may have to do this idea next year, too...I think it's going to be fun this year! There are also so many books we could do this with! Now I've just got to sit down and start planning out my ideas!