Monday, July 9, 2012

A Great Baby Tip

Life remains pretty crazy for us right now...but there's definitely been some good moments the last week or so.  I had a birthday...the big 35...and enjoyed time with family and friends.  I've started a tutoring job that I enjoy, went to a high school friend's wedding and got to visit with some old friends (great fun!), and I also have a date set for thyroid surgery.  I honestly think this has been one of the busiest, hardest years of my life...but I must say that God has provided strength and endurance that I've never experienced before. 


One thing that has really helped our littlest guy is this great stuff called Gripe Water.  It's natural and it helps babies with gassiness, fussiness, and hiccups.  Just perfect for our little gassy, hiccuppy boy : ).  It is a little pricey in my opinion, so I try to make it last longer by just giving it to him at night before bedtime and using the cheaper mylicon drops during the day as needed.  We give our baby a bottle of formula at night (long story) so I often put the gripe water in that, but when I started tutoring he got his bottle earlier in the night.  I ended up giving him the stuff later with the provided dropper, but some of it would spill out.  Then I saw this little tip on Pinterest.  Have I mentioned that I LOVE Pinterest?! : )

So....Pinterest.  It's awesome.  Every idea I've gotten from there has been great.  First of all, before I share the idea, I would like to say that this pacifier is my fav.  I think we got these from the hospital so I'm not sure where you buy them.  On the actual pacifier it's labeled "Soothie".  It says it's made by Children's Medical Ventures (http://www.childmed.com/).  We had two of them and have lost one of them so I will do just about anything to make sure we don't lose this one!  I was never a big paci person with my other two kids.  In fact, they always spit it out so I didn't push it.  We didn't have to go through any traumatic pacifier withdrawals.  With Seth, he seems to take it more and it definitely soothes him when he's tired.  This is the paci he likes the most...and we have tried several.  We even got one of these in purple with Sophie that is a good bit smaller because she was in the NICU.  It has a vanilla taste built into it which is said to soothe babies.  Seth didn't care for the small one much, but he really likes the regular sized one.

The tip.  If you take a sharp, pointed knife and cut a little hole in the tip of the "soothie", you can drop medicine in the other side of it, which is open, and the baby can suck the medicine through.  It's not messy, it doesn't spill, and if you keep the hole just right, it provides just the right amount of flow so that the baby doesn't choke and gets to take it at his/her own pace.  I give the baby the grip water with this now.  It's awesome!  Hope this helps some of you!  It's definitely helped us.

Please keep us in your prayers as I will be having part of my thyroid and a nodule that is growing on my thyroid removed.  I am very pleased with the medical care I've received so far, so I feel confident that the surgery will go well. There is a chance the nodule could be cancerous, so I'm asking for prayer that it won't be.  I appreciate it!  August 1st is my surgery date.

God bless~Stacey

1 comment:

Selena said...

You can get the soothie pacifiers from Target. My boys were never big on pacifiers, but these were what we used. We loved them too!