Sunday, August 12, 2012

Homeschool excitement

It's time to kick off a new year of homeschooling.  After having surgery about a week and a half ago, I really didn't think we would be able to swing starting up tomorrow.  After getting back home Friday night from being gone for a few weeks, I started browsing through some of my homeschool materials.  Then I went to Walmart and saw/bought school supplies and it was all over.  Yes, I am one of those people.  I love school supplies.  Saturday my homeschool juices were flowing and I was kicking the planning into high gear.  I knew in my mind what I wanted to do, but I had to sit down and do a lot of printing from the computer, a lot of coloring and cutting (I think half of my planning time when I was a teacher was spent coloring and cutting), and planning.  I looked back on a lot of those things I pinned on Pinterest that I thought would be good ideas.  Pinterest plug...I still think it's awesome.  Anyway, one of the things I wanted to also start doing was a chore chart with the kids (and, to be honest, I need to try and start some good habits myself).  I kind of combined a couple of ideas I saw on Pinterest and came up with this:
 I got my markers, stencils, and letter stickers out and tried to copy a design I saw.  I used old dvd cases and slid the paper I had fixed up in the front cover.  That way you can use a dry erase marker on the front of the chart (no laminating..or cutting out laminated paper!).  Nifty, huh?  I stole the idea from someone else...I wish I were that creative.
 Then...on the inside I put a cute little dry erase marker that I bought on a whim (I'm glad I did!) and a little incentive chart and stickers that I got on my Walmart trip.  Tax free!  : )  I told Sophie and Isaac that if they got all of their chores for the day checked off then they could get a sticker on their chart.  Once the chart was full, they would get...something.  Something awesome.  I haven't figured out what the "something" is...but for right now the kids thought it was pretty cool.
 Here's Isaac checking it out.  He's probably thinking about the box on his chores that says, "potty".  Yep.  Party is about to over, dude...you gotta at least try to potty to get a check on your chart or no sticker.  I hope this works.
Sophie was so excited about hers that she jumped up and started doing as many chores as she could...made her bed, brushed her teeth, and picked up her lunch dishes.  It made me smile to see her so excited about it!  Along with our new chores, we are also starting a new adventure with our homeschooling in that Isaac will be joining us.  He seems to be excited about it.  I wanted to plan something that would meet his learning needs and Sophie's, too.  So I decided that I would come up with a book theme/individual book/books by the same author each week with different activities to go with each book.  This week we're doing these books:
 I've always enjoyed those "If you..." books.  I found a great site that has tons of ideas of things to do with different children's books.  It included links to some free clothespin cards that I was able to print on some cardstock, color, and now they are cut....ready for laminating!
On the top cards you clip a clothespin to the letter that is missing on the food tray and on the bottom cards you clip one to the lowercase letter that matches the uppercase one on the top.  I also printed some other cards that have muffins on them and you pin the number that matches.  All of them with the baking and moose/muffin theme. 
Not only did I find this cute stuff, but I also found a link to some free printable alphabet books that are adorable!  They also have inserts that you can print off that have spaces for drawing or writing.  I printed off the "M" book because even though it's our first week, we're talking about a moose, mouse, and muffins.  Who says you have to go in order? : ) 
Since we're doing "m" for our alphabet book, I thought we could also memorize a Bible verse starting with the letter m.  Again, I went back to Pinterest to see what I could find.  I was so excited to find a link to a great blog from a family who homeschools.  The mom had designed verse sheets that emphasize/begin with a letter of the alphabet.  I love these and look forward to using them!
I still feel a little unprepared for this year, but I'm excited to see how it's going to go.  I think Sophie will do great, but Isaac and Seth are my two unknowns.  We'll take it one day at a time and enjoy the ride together.  I am so thankful that I am able to homeschool my kids and love it!  It is such a blessing!
And, as always, I know I'll need your prayers!
Blessings~Stacey

2 comments:

Keisha said...

LOL!!! You are so funny! I can hear you saying this about Isaac and the potty!
And.. what an AWESOME idea with the CD boxes!! Thanks for sharing!!
Hope you are feeling well. I'm praying for you still! love & Hugs!

The Great Adventure said...

Well, I think Isaac is the one laughing at me because we've gotten him to sit on the potty but he's only done anything on it once. Oh, well. I'm trusting he'll get it despite my lack of enthusiasm...or consistency! Thanks so much for your prayers. Our church family has ministered to us so much and that has blessed me beyond words! XOXO...Stacey