Friday, August 3, 2012

Miraculous

When I wrote my last post, I thought I was having at the least half of my thyroid taken out...and possibly the whole thing.  Well...God does things we don't expect.  When I went for my pre-op in Augusta the day before my surgery, the surgeon met with me and wanted to do another sonogram.  As he was looking at the sonogram, he said that the nodule wasn't where they thought it was...it was actually approaching the center of the thyroid from the left side instead of the right.  He said that where it was positioned might make it possible for him to remove it without having to remove either lobe of the thyroid.  This was a big surprise.  He also said that the nodule was sitting right on the trachea, which explains my discomfort, and that it's rare to see it like this.  Maybe 2 or 3 out of hundreds of surgeries have this type of placement. 

Just luck?  Not for me.  I don't believe in luck.  God does miracles...even when we never would've expected it.  I honestly didn't question the previous plans the doctors had for my surgery.  For them to see a totally different scenario the day before the surgery is pretty amazing.  There was still a chance that the left lobe would need to be removed.  The surgeon said he wouldn't know for sure until he got in there. 

I'm sitting here right now with both lobes of my thyroid still intact, only the nodule and the isthmus of my thyroid taken out.  I won't have to take medication for the rest of my life....at least not right now.  God does things we could never imagine. 

I still have to wait on the pathology report on my nodule to make sure that it's not cancerous.  If it is, then I will have to have my thyroid removed.  I am trusting in God's best plan, but I am praying that it will not be cancerous and that I will not have to have further surgery.  I'd appreciate your praying with me!

God is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you my darling! I hope you won't have to go through another surgery and all will be well. Whatever happens, we will be there for you...most of all we know it's all in God's hands!
Love you, Mom