Sunday, February 24, 2013

Easy, fast and yummy tomato soup

If you didn't notice....I have a new blog design.  I love it!  When I was trying to think of some graphic that would represent our family, the thing that made so much sense to me was a roller coaster.  There are ups and downs, exciting parts, slow parts, new beginnings, closure and scary parts...but when I think of a roller coaster I always have fun memories.  I love roller coasters.  I love the life God has given me....the good, the gross, the bad, and the amazing.  That's the story....and I hope you enjoy the ride! : )

Now for a new recipe I tried tonight.  We had a church soup fellowship tonight and I didn't realize until it was the last minute...as always.  How do I always manage to miss stuff like that?!  Part of the adventure, I guess!  I jumped on the internet, searching for something good, easy, and soy free.  I ended up on www.chow.com ...a site I've never visited before.  But I decided to use this recipe and it tasted so good!  I think I added a little to much salt, though.  It doesn't taste salty when I'm eating it, but my lips have that too much salt feeling...and I think I need a drink of water.  So don't add too much salt ; ).  I don't think this has soy...there was none listed on the ingredients on the packages I used (the broth, tomatoes, and cream).  I'm new to this, so if I made a mistake, please let me know!

Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
1 (28 oz) can of whole peeled tomatoes in their juices
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup heavy cream

Instructions:
1. Heat oil and butter in a medum saucepan over medium heat.  Once butter foams, add onion and a big pinch of salt.  Season with freshly ground black pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionaly until onion is completely soft and just beginning to brown, about 15 min.
2. Add tomatoes and juices to the pan and stir to crush up tomatoes.  Add broth or water and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.  Simmer until tomatoes begin to fall apart, about 10 min.
3. Remove from heat, discard bay leaves, and allow soup to cool slightly.  Carefully puree soup in a blender until smooth (you may have to do this in batches).  Return soup to the stove over low heat and stir in cream.  Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.

Yields: 4 servings (I doubled the recipe for tonight's church get-together...and I think it was definitely more than 8 servings!  We have A LOT left over!)

Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

amy said...

Soy free! Way to go!! And chow is one of my new favorite food sites, their basic granola is amazing!!!!!

The Great Adventure said...

Yay! Thanks, Amy...I'm glad it's soy free! I'm always afraid I'm missing some kind of hidden ingredient or something : ). I'll have to check out that granola recipe. I have an awesome recipe that I used when I was in Thailand. I've only made it a few times since being stateside, but it might be one I'll pick back up one of these days. Thanks for the tip! : )