Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Yummy loaded baked potato soup

This is a bean pot.  I had honestly never heard of one before a few years ago.  Then a few months ago a sweet friend of mine got one for me...and I have been using it quite often ever since!  The great thing about them is that it basically acts like a crockpot, but cooks your food faster.  It'll also keep it hot for a few hours and you can put it in the microwave or dishwasher.  If you put something cold in it, like some kind of salad or dessert, it'll keep it cool for a few hours after taking it out of the fridge.  Pretty nifty!  I copied down a few of my friend's bean pot recipes and tonight I had the opportunity to try a new one.  I just had to share it because it turned out so good!  Now, I know that many of you may not have a bean pot, but I would think that it could easily be adapted to a crock pot or stove top.  I'm going to keep it in the bean pot format, so you will have to adjust it accordingly.

Baked Potato Soup
Ingredients:
6 potatoes, cut in 1/2 in cubes (I peeled mine, but if you like skin you could keep it on)
1 large onion, chopped
3 14oz cans chicken broth with roasted garlic (honestly, I couldn't find any with roasted garlic, so I got the plain kind and chopped up one large clove of garlic and put it in...it worked fine)
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup whipping cream or half and half
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1 8oz container of sour cream

Directions:
Combine first 6 ingredients in bean pot.  Cover and bake @ 325 degrees for 2 hours, or until potatoes are tender.  Mash mixture until coarsly chopped and soup is slightly thickened.  Stir in cream, cheese, and chives.  Before serving, top with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and bacon.

Yum!  I hope you enjoy it.  I've been trying to take soy out of my diet...and I don't think this is soy free.  But, I feel like I've made some good changes so far!  More on that another time, but until then I hope this keeps you warm and full!
Blessings~Stacey

No comments: