Thursday, February 7, 2013

Our busy life

 Right after Christmas I start going into birthday mode.  My two big kiddos have birthdays just 4 days apart in January...so we always do a Daniel family birthday bash for both.  I try to come up with some fun ideas and a theme that will go well for both girl and boy.  This year we had a camping theme...and it was so fun!  We had tents set up, blankets outside for the kids to sit and eat, a fire pit with a nice fire going, cooked hot dogs and some to roast, and a smores bar set up.  I had a little camping scene on the cake and I put some cupcakes in a plastic fluted glass with smores mix in the bottom.  Fun had by all!
 Homeschooling is going well, too.  I feel like after Christmas things have picked up a little.  I decided to revamp our schedule to accomodate both Sophie and Isaac better..and it really helped.  This week and last week we've been learning about volcanos.  We printed a paper model of a volcano that we could fold (above) and we made our own little volcano with clay and a small vase.  We followed a "recipe" on a blog I like.  It kind of worked, but I think it would've worked better if my vase was bigger.  We ran out of room for our ingredients.  But it was still fun : ).  Here are some blogs that I have been referring to a LOT for help.  I LOVE the free things and great ideas these amazing homeschooling moms are putting together.
And Here We Go : She gives great lesson plans for Classical Conversations, links to all kinds of resources, etc.  I go straight to her blog every week when I'm planning.
Suzanne Shares: All sorts of great ideas across the board...for homeschooling, family, etc.  I especially love her printables.  I have printed off her Latin declension cards and I think they're great! 
Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas: I haven't used this site in a while, but this is a great resource.  She has so many fun ideas, links, etc.  I used it a lot when we were doing activities with some children's books. 
Half-a-Hundred Acre Wood: another great resource for Classical Conversations and classical education.  I'm still trying to familiarize myself with how to navigate this site, but there is no doubt a wealth of information and ideas. 
New Bee Homeschooler: I just discovered this site last week, but it's goal is to help the new homeschooling parent navigate their way.  They also have tons of free printables for all kinds of topics!  I really appreciate blogs that have fun, free printables!
These are just a few sites that are out there...I'm realizing that there are SO many homeschooling, parent, family blogs.  I feel pretty small in the big blogger world, but I still enjoy putting my thoughts and ideas out there : ).
 And last, but not least, our little man is 10 mos old.  He's been 10 months for a while.  In fact, he's almost 11 months!  The time is flying by.  He loves Puffs and banana cookies right now and is showing a lot of interest in solid foods.  He is also crawling all over the place and is starting to pull up a little!  I can't believe it!  His 6th and 7th teeth are coming in.  And he's got the sweetest little personality.  What a joy and blessing he is.
So that's us in a nutshell.  Life is good.  We are blessed.
Blessings to you~Stacey

No comments: