Friday, April 19, 2013

We *heart* field trips!

 I don't think our field trip day could've been more perfect!  It was slightly cool that morning and was a little overcast, but the rain held off and God provided perfect weather!  We started off with feeding the animals.
 I think my kids were a little nervous about animals eating out of their hands.  Here's Sophie holding out one little piece of food to the goat : ).
 Then we got to see and hold the baby chicks.  Poor chick.  Isaac didn't cuddle him like the other kids were doing...lol.  He did have a good grip on this little guy and thankfully wasn't hurting him!
 There's my smiley boy...enjoying the day as well.
 Here we are on the hay ride....it was really nice!
 Our little group.  I think everyone had a great time!
Here's part of the strawberry fields we were in.  The strawberries were beautiful and there were plenty of them!  The kids did great picking them, too.  Isaac was going up and down the rows and followed directions on only picking red ones really well.  So did Sophie! 

I must recommend Kauffman's Farmarket where we had our field trip.  It's in Montezuma, GA, right in the middle of a Mennonite community.  There is farm land all around and is so quaint and peaceful.  This strawberry farm also uses no herbicides, fungicides or pesticides on their fruit.  That's a big plus for me!  We also had some of their strawberry ice cream and it was fabulous.  I would LOVE to go back and have some more!  We really enjoyed our field trip and hope that some of you are able to go there as well.

After we strawberry picked, we ate lunch at Yoder's Deitsch Haus Restaurant.  Yum!  We've been going there for years and it's always been good, homestyle food.  They also have a bakery and we got some fresh baked sourdough and wheat bread.  The whole family has enjoyed that! 

If you're in the area, you can also visit Andersonville.  It's free admission and the site of the famous Civil War prison. It's only about 15 miles away from Montezuma.  They even have a place where you can schedule a field trip and have a hands-on learning experience.  I would really love to do that sometime. 

There is a wealth of field trips available in the state of Georgia...from free to more on the expensive side.  This site looks like a great resource for finding a field trip in your area.  This year we have visited the Ocmulgee Indian Mounds in Macon, GA (which is free), the Georgia Children's Museum in Macon (minimal cost for a school group), and now our strawberry trip (for homeschoolers it was only $3 per child and included a small basket of berries, the hay ride, petting the animals, and a small ice cream).  We also hope to do some more things this summer.  I LOVE field trips with the kids.  Such a great way to get out of the house and do some hands-on learning. 

~God bless~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great field trip!! The pictures are so cute!! I know the kids had a great time!! I'm so glad you share all that you are doing ...it gives Mimi a glipse into your lives when I'm not there! I love you all...(I want to go there myself!!)
Love, MOM

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks for commenting, Mom! : ) Maybe we can meet up there sometime? I would love to go back again!