Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Eating Eggless...with a recipe!

A few weeks ago I took my youngest guy to get allergy tested.  He's had long bouts of ecsema (sp?) along with ear and sinus issues.  Honestly, he had started getting better so I thought maybe the testing wasn't necessary.  I really don't like to put them through medical procedures if it isn't necessary.  But after talking with my husband about it, we decided it would be good to know if he had any issues.  I'm SO glad we did!
 
The results: little man is highly allergic to eggs!  He's also allergic to dogs and cats as well as peanuts.  That was just round one of testing.  There may be more before it's over with.  But eggs?  I had no idea.  I bake with eggs, I'm sure some of his medicines or shots had egg derivatives in them...I've even given him scrambled eggs!  Thankfully he never cared for them, so I didn't really fix them for him very often.  So I've been on a mission to figure out how to adapt.  Pinterest has been VERY helpful!
 
 

 
There are plenty of other charts and things that are available, but so far I've just been using 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce as a substitute for 1 egg.  It's worked great!  I've used it in muffins, pancakes, and my zucchini bread recipe.  Here is a recipe I have tried recently that is healthy and delicious.  A friend of mine made it for us while we were visiting her and we all loved it!  I believe she told me she adapted it from Joy the Baker's recipe.  I'll put the original recipe and in parenthesis I'll put my adaptations.
 
Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
Makes 12-15 muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur's White Wheat)
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (I didn't have any, so I just used regular milk)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp canola oil (I used coconut oil)
1 large egg, lightly beaten (I used another 1/3 cup of applesauce)
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen....I used fresh)
 
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a 12 cup muffin tin with papers or spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Or you could grease and flour the muffin pan.  In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg (or substitute).  Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture.  Stir until just moist.  Fold in blueberries.  Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake for 16-18 minutes.
 
These muffins are hearty and not overly sweet.  The blueberries add little bursts of flavor.  No one said anything about them not being sweet enough...in fact, they were gone within 24 hours!  Hope you enjoy!
 


No comments: