Friday, November 1, 2013

Giving Thanks this November

October has sped by and November is upon us.  I don't know about you, but our calendar is already filling up with activities in the coming weeks.  Christmas parties, football games, rounding out school before the holidays...all good things, but they can distract from focusing on the object of our Thanksgiving.  Christ.  He is the reason we have hope in this crazy world.

As my husband and I watch the headlines scroll along the bottom of the tv screen and hear political commentators battle it out, it's easy to feel a little down.  There is a lot of tragedy, deceit, and a general downfall of the moral and political state of our country.  But who can we trust?  Our trust is in the Lord!  Is He not in control?  Can he not guide and direct the hearts of men as He chooses?  When my heart and mind feel anxious, I know I can turn to The One who has the earth as his footstool.

With that said, what is a good way to turn our focus onto Him this season?  It is the month of Thanksgiving...why not give thanks?  Thanks for the shiny new bauble or for getting off with a warning instead of a speeding ticket?  That's not really what I was thinking.

DSC_6519
(photo by Ann Voskamp)

I'm thinking that our family will try to do this version of a Thanks Giving Tree.  I've already printed off our "leaves" that were created by Ann Voskamp, author of the wonderful book, "One Thousand Gifts." Her blog is amazing, and the other day I ran across this post.  If you have a moment, read it, savor it, and print off your own Thanks Giving Tree leaves....and be blessed by the Truth!

God bless you!

No comments: