Monday, October 28, 2013

Letter I, the planets, and the absolute monarchs (cycle 2, week 9)

I'm excited that we've been able to borrow my parent's computer since my decided to die on me again the other day.  It's been a long day today and I'm wiped out....so I'm going to try and briefly give some of the best links I can!  Hope it's helpful.

Letter I
My first thought with letter I....ice cream : ).  You could make homemade or bought at the store.  Here is the recipe for my family's traditional favorite homemade ice cream.  It tastes like a Wendy's frosty! : )

Other books/ideas:
"If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" by Laura Joffe Numerof
"If You Give a Moose a Muffin"
"It's Mine!" by Leo Lionni
"I Spy" books and game
*icing....so you could have cupcakes with icing and ice cream : )
*insects....this link will take you to a great unit (over 80 pages of ideas, games, wordplays, songs, and printables!) on the blog, Oopsy Daisy.  I used several printables from here.
*I also had several clothespin cards that went with the book "If You Give a Moose a Muffin".  There were some that gave you a chance to count the muffins and put a pin on the number, match uppercase and lowercase letters, etc.  We did this activity with our class today and it went really well.

Cycle 2, Week 9 Memory Work activities
Planets
*First of all, we've been listening to the planets song on our Geography Songs cd by Kathy Troxel.  The kids have already memorized most of it, so that will really help with what we're learning this week!
*There are so many fun planet activities to show the scale of the planets, eating different food items to represent the planets, etc.  Here are some that stood out to me:
~This is a free "Explore Our Solar System" worksheet
~"Our Place In Space" unit with printables...costs money, but not a lot.  The printables look good.
~ideas for a space lapbook...didn't see any printables, though...you would have to use the links to print what you want
~Outer space homemade playdough...looks like something my kids would enjoy!
~This solar system sugar cookie looks really fun : )
I know my kids will love this song : )  But I guess Pluto isn't a planet anymore?  It isn't included.
~
~These solar system cookies were so beautiful...I had to include them : )
~FREE printable solar system cards
~printable of the planets and moons
~LOTS of ideas on this blog! Part 1 and Part 2 of her solar system unit
~free solar system coloring page and placemat activity
~space stats diagram using fruit
~solar system project...this uses foam pieces and a thick poster board to make a wonderful looking model
~another impressive foam model, but it's missing the step by step instructions
~Last but not least, The Magic School Bus Gets Lost in Space video
....I also saw something about The Magic School Bus Explores the Earth and Explores the Solar System, but I couldn't find full length videos for them.
That's A LOT of stuff! : )

History
Henry VIII of England, Louis XIV of France, Philip II of Spain, Peter the Great of Russia, and Frederick the Great of Prussia

  Nic
^Nice little rap about King Louis : )
~Henry VIII activities and a video about Henry's wives
~Peter the Great video
~Exploring the Absolute Monarchs lapbook and study guide ($5)
~Informative video entitled The Age of Absolute Monarchs...a little over my kids' heads, but good for older kids...and good for me to understand it, too! : )
~Absolute Monarchs lesson plans, games, and powerpoints
~Time Warp Trio info on Peter the Great

Geography
Caribbean
~A video of a song to go with the Caribbean

It's getting late, so I'm heading off!  Hope this helps get you going on week 9!  God bless!

No comments: