Monday, October 7, 2013

Martin Luther and the Reformation, stars, and letter G...it's a busy week!

We're having an interesting week this week studying Martin Luther and the Reformation.  I'm excited about it and look forward to doing some of the activities I've spotted on Pinterest.  With my big boy we're doing letter G, which has some good activities, too.  This week is also going to be a little different because the hubby and I are headed out to Nashville (woohoo!) to celebrate our anniversary.  We're celebrating 9 years and enjoyed going to Nashville so much last year that we're going again this year!  I look forward to getting away and relaxing.  In light of that, we won't have a normal school week.  The kids will have a few things they'll have to do at their Mimi's house...so I'll have a lot to cover in a few days!  I know we won't to get everything, but I'm going to try to go back and do some of the things we didn't get to when we have a long CC break through the holidays.

I'm going to start with the letter G because it's fresh on my mind.  Here are some quick letter G ideas...
*grapes...a great snack!  And this tracing sheet link has grapes on it for capital G


*guitar...we had our music minister come by during our group meeting today (I teach the 3-5 year olds) and bring his guitar.  He did a great job talking about what the guitar was made of, parts of the guitar, and played Jesus Loves Me for us and we were able to sing along.  Very fun!  And isn't this little craft cute?!


*goat...Three Billy Goats Gruff book, or a trip to see some live goats at a local farm
*Goldilocks and the Three Bears book...the kids loved this and I had a felt board and pieces to go along with the story and we read it twice.  It was a lot of fun to act out.
*Green Eggs and Ham book...another favorite!  If I would've been able to plan better I would've done some green eggs and ham for the kids.  I'll definitely do it at some point, though...maybe "S" for Seuss week : )
*God...lots to talk about there!
*Guess How Much I Love You book
*This Homeschool Share page is incredible!  Lap 'N Note pages for every letter...free and easy to access!  I didn't even have to sign up to be able to download!  This will be a great resource.
*other "G" words: goldfish, green, grey, gorilla, and goose

Classical Conversations Memory Work...Cycle 2, Week 7
History: Reformation, Martin Luther, Ninety-five Theses
*A video excerpt from the movie, "Luther", that talks about the Ninety-five Theses
*Reformation unit and lapbook pages.  I really liked this packet, but didn't print all of it.  I did print the parts about Martin Luther, some of the causes of the Reformation, and a few others.  I hope to do a lap book for the kids with this.
*A nice chart of the English monarchy during the Reformation
*A Martin Luther coloring page that I've already printed.  The kids really did well with the coloring pages we did last week.  I think both of my big kiddos are high visual learners.
*Reformation Day Party ideas--Reformation Day is October 31st
*Another detailed Reformation Day Party idea with links to printables
**I LOVE the idea of having a Reformation Day Party.  I've never done one, and it would be fun to do it with our homeschool group and anyone else who would want to participate**

Science: 5 kinds of stars
*I LOVE this star project!  It'll take some spray paint and poster board, but that's about it.  And the most important part...putting a verse from Psalms on it.
*This is also a week to talk about constellations.  I love the free app "Star Chart"--a great way to go outside and go stargazing.
*space lapbook--with great printables and info on stars, the moon, and the sun! I will be using some of this next week, too!
*info on how to find different constellations in the night sky
*I love the idea of doing glow in the dark constellations cards
*Another great way to do glow in the dark constellation cards
*Free printable constellation cards with info (it says "limited time" but they were still free and available)
*Glow in the dark play dough! Cool!
*Star worksheet
*This star size comparison video is mind-blowing!  Quite a testimony to God's handiwork!
*Simple constellation lesson plan
*constellation viewer idea...but there are only 4 printables available for it
*This is cool, too!  An oatmeal container planetarium!  I really want to do this one!
*And...a constellation jar (I might use a candle instead of a light like they did...but I don't know how well it will work)

Ok...wow...that's A LOT of star activities!  : )

Geography: European Peninsulas
*I've printed my geography cards this week and we're going to look on the blog, And Here We Go!, for a geography song that she's made up. My kids really did well with the song last week.

English: possessive adjectives
*I've got my printables from "Suzanne Shares" blog
*We'll watch the grammar video I linked to on this post

Latin:
We'll do our pronunciation cards I mentioned before...already printed and ready to go!

And...that's all I've got for now!  I've been doing some organizing with some of my materials.  As soon as I can get my pictures together, I'll be sure to share : ).

God bless your week!

No comments: