Monday, October 21, 2013

European Exploration, parts of the sun, and letter H (Cycle 2, week 8)

Last week we had a little fall breather.  We didn't meet for our co-op last week because of Columbus Day, but my plan was to keep doing our normal school stuff.  Then my computer decided not to come on anymore, I couldn't find one of our instructional dvds...and basically the week went down the tubes.  But that's ok.  It happens sometimes.  This week we're back together again and even though my computer is still not working and I'm not able to print at home right now (I'm trying to be cool about this...but it's really a challenge for me!), I'm going to make the best of things.  It's kind of a reminder of the fact that I'm a little spoiled with all the technology so readily available to me...most of the world probably does without it.  We'll make it ;-).

I am still going to be doing some activities with the kids this week and wanted to post some of the things that go along with week 8.  I'll start with letter H, though.  It's fresh on my mind since I taught the 3-5 year olds today.
Here are some books I brought with some activities:
*Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson; Here is a great resource for a lesson using this book, including writing sheets, coloring sheets, and a video.  This is just one of many "Harold" lessons out there.
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss--a little early, but the kids enjoyed the book, even though it was a little long; These activities look fun; Great resource for Grinchy stuff!
*From Head to Toe by Eric Carle; The kids LOVED reading this book and imitating the motions.  After we read the story I got my big roll of Ikea paper (only $4.99 at the store!) and let each child lay down on the paper and I traced their bodies.  Then I let them color themselves.  Lots of fun!
*The Story of Heidi

These are just a few of the things we did.  I also like to take my printed alphabet cards and review each letter we've learned so far.  The kids are doing really well with that.

Cycle 2, week 8
History--European Exploration: Dias, Vespucci, Balboa, Magellan, and Coronado
*Magellan background info, a picture of his route, and a printable
*Pretty neat video on Magellan's route, but it is in another language so unless you know that language, you won't know what the beginning text says.  You can pretty much figure out what places it's featuring on the map.
*Cute Animaniacs video called "The Ballad of Magellan"
*Nice video of Cape Town/Cape of Good Hope (modern day)
*Explorer route maps
*Coronado biography and video (this site looks like a good resource!)
*Balboa biography info--a good biography of the explorer
*Vespucci video--short, but informative
*Another short video that connects Vespucci's time period with Renaissance artists and Columbus
*Age of Exploration video that mentions a couple of different explorers

Science--parts of the sun


I like this video!  Great way to learn the parts of the sun.
*FREE parts of the sun poster and flashcards printable
*sun print paper--this would be a cool project ($6.99 for 15 sheets)
*cool sun prints on fabric
*construction paper sun prints
*video of a solar eruption




*using a cantaloupe to show the parts of the sun






*Interesting sun screen experiment...and perfect for my kiddos because I'm always slathering sunscreen on them!
*Fun! Turn your pizza box into a solar oven...I'm thinking smores!

Geography--Mid-Atlantic World


We'll listen to this and look at our printed map of the Mid Atlantic World.

And...it's getting late, once again, so that's about all I've got for now.  I thought I had a video on my Pinterest board explaining the Council of Nicea, but I had trouble finding it.  Hope all of you have a great week and God bless!

No comments: