Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Inside Story Behind the Cover of A Beauty So Rare

It's been such a privilege to be a part of promoting Tamera Alexander's newest book, A Beauty So Rare.  I've learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes in writing a novel, and today I wanted to show you a very important aspect of that...the cover!  Some book covers really catch my eye and draw me in.  But I had no idea all that goes on to get that beautiful finished product.  

Through Tamera Alexander's blog, we're able to meet the seamstress who actually made the dress the cover model wore for the photo shoot.  
This is Beth Schoenherr...amazing period seamstress!
To read Tamera's interview with Beth, click here.  Honestly, I love the idea of being able to create and sew something.  I haven't made it past a few little things for my daughter, but a girl can dream, right?!  This interview helped me to see that for a period seamstress, it's not just about cutting and sewing, but the creativity that is behind it all.  Be sure to check it out!

Once the dress is made and the model is chosen, it's now time for a photo shoot.  Doesn't this look fun?!

Now let's add the dress...
and last, but not least, a fabulous backdrop!

Go here to see Tamera's original post on the photo shoot.  I would love to visit this beautiful conservatory.  It looks gorgeous and as I was reading A Beauty So Rare, I could totally picture Eleanor walking through a place like this.  One of the many things I love about beautiful cover art is that it gives me just enough of a mental picture to enhance the book as I read it.

So what do you think?  Here is the final product:

I think it's a winner! : )

1 comment:

Tamera Alexander said...

Southern hugs comin' your way, Stacey! ; ) Many thanks, friend.