Sunday, November 9, 2014

At the halfway mark! Classical Conversations Cycle 3, week 12: General Robert E. Lee, blood, Appalachian Mtns and more

This will be our last week of CC until after the new year!  Hard to believe that the holidays are upon us, but I must confess this is my favorite time of year.  We'll still be doing school work after this week and probably going back and doing a few review activities/fun things that we didn't get to with CC since school started.  I'm glad that we've been doing so well this year and still chugging along with not too much burnout : ).

History: Robert E. Lee
This week is basically highlighting Lee's surrender during the Civil War, so we'll still be able to go back and do a few Civil War activities that I mentioned last week.  I also thought it would be fun to have a night that I cooked a meal with recipes that date back to or were popular during Civil War times.  Here are few things I've found:







I thought this was pretty neat!  Mary Todd Lincoln's Vanilla Almond Cake recipe...I think we need to try this one!















*Several Civil War recipes and history behind cooking during this time
*Confederate Johnnie Cakes
*Lots of Civil War info, including Civil War generals, food, battles, and other info.
*Info about Lee and free coloring sheets (right click on the image you want, save the image to your computer, then go to the image and print)
*Blog post on Lee's surrender with some nice pictures
*Robert E. Lee biography:
*I have several more Civil War recipe pins on Pinterest under "Classical Conversations Cycle 3"

Science: purposes of the blood
*short video singing the purposes
*Magic School Bus Goes Cellular ...I haven't watched it all the way through, so I'm not sure how applicable it will be but my kids love MSB, so either way they'll enjoy it : )

Latin: John 1:1
*This video is for weeks 12-24...so you'll be using it for a while! : )


Geography: Appalachian Mountains
*The music is not my favorite, but it does help highlight the geography stuff.  It starts with last week's features.


Hope all of you have a great week!  I probably won't do my regular CC posts until we start with Week 13 after the holidays, but I will post any fun activities we decide to do during the holidays : ).

No comments: