Sunday, November 2, 2014

Back on track...Cycle 3, week 11: The Civil War and the endocrine system...Oh...and there's a bit about my Austen obsession : )

I'm going to start with what's on my mind right now...um...a little Austen obsession : ).  I have loved Pride and Prejudice...in all versions...for quite some time.  And last week I just happened to run across a Masterpiece Mystery! series entitled "Death Comes to Pemberly".  This series is based on a novel written by crime writer P.D. James, and I was immediately sucked in to this fantastically done sequel to Pride and Prejudice.  I'm kind of giddy after watching it :D.  Yes...I know...cray cray. But seriously, if you're an Austen fan...you will probably enjoy it!

Eeek!  Yes, it was really good.  : )

Ok...now on to our week of school!

History: Civil War
I know before I even get started that there is a TON of stuff on the Civil War.  So I'm just going to hit some of the highlights.
*Four free worksheets from crayola.com
*Instructions on how to make Civil War hard tack...looks like a fun activity!
*I looked up second grade civil war worksheets on education.com and got a few good ones pop up : ).  You can search for other grades or topics.
*Good resource for top ten interesting facts and a printable for the Civil War (I LOVE this one...great info, condensed, and there is a flip style organizer you can print)
*Civil War blog created by a kid who is interested in the Civil War
*Love the "Horrible Histories" videos : )
*Liberty's Kids video "Conflict in the South"...definitely watching that one!  My kiddos LOVE Liberty's Kids!

I'm going to move on...but like I said, there are lots of ideas.  I also printed timeline cards from Teachers Pay Teachers when I bought some for the Revolutionary War...so we'll probably do those, too.

Science: the endocrine system
*I have some personal experience with this, as I had thyroid cancer in 2012...and no longer have a thyroid.  We'll probably talk about that this week.




Here's a nice graphic to explain some of the different parts of the endocrine system.













This is probably about all we'll do for the endocrine system....just go over the graphic above.

Geography: Appalachian Mountains






Here's one map I found to show where the different mountain ranges are located.







Have a great week!

No comments: