Sunday, November 22, 2009

A lasting legacy


What a crazy week. For those of you out there who don't know, Joe's dad unexpectedly passed away on Tuesday night. We had a good bit of family come in for the visitation and funeral. I just want to say to everyone that we were so blessed by the food, cards, flowers, and so many other expressions of love towards all of us. It was also a blessing to hear the story of how Joe's father became a Christian and the legacy that he has left behind. So that makes me think...what do I want my legacy to be? Joe and I talked about this before we got married. We talked about wanting to pray that our children and grandchildren and even great-grandchildren would know the Lord and serve Him. Joe's dad didn't grow up in a Christian home. In fact, he dropped out of school in the 8th grade and started working. He did some construction and electrical work, and one day started working for a holiness preacher. This preacher would share about Christ with Joe's dad, and one day was praying for him and asking God to turn him from his wicked ways. He didn't know Joe's dad could hear him. But hearing that prayer turned Joe's dad to the Lord and changed his life forever. Joe's uncle and others told of times when Joe's dad witnessed to people he came in contact with. It made me think about how I need to be more bold...and excited and fired up...about sharing what God has done for me. To do this, you must think ahead, be prepared, but also follow and obey the Lord's leading. You have to be proactive. If Joe and I do this, think of the legacy we will leave for our children. They will see how much their parents value sharing the Good News. What do I show my children now? If they looked at how I spent my time, what would they think was the most important thing in my life? I shudder to think of the answer to that question. Oh, how I want to leave them with a legacy of Christ...knowing Him, serving Him, and proclaiming His truth to others. At the graveside, the pastor used this song as a way to describe Joe's dad's life. It was recorded by Steve Green. It's entitled, "Find Us Faithful". The chorus says,

Oh may all who come behind us, find us faithful

May the fire of our devotion light their way

Let the footprints that we leave

Lead them to believe

That the lives we live, inspire them to obey

Oh may all who come behind us, find us faithful



Great song and a great challenge to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this on your blog, Stacey. I didn't know the story of how Joe's dad became a Christian. You never know how one little thing can impact someone's life...like how his dad heard that man praying for him. Proud to hear your heart's desire....Love you, MOM