Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The first week of school

So far this week has gone really well! The picture above is of the girls (Bethany and Sophie) having "center time". I put some books we had been reading and some ABC-type toys on the carpet and they could pick what they wanted and sit in a chair. As you can see, they chose to sit together : ). Both of them have done really well with the material (it's age appropriate) and have gotten along really well, overall. I'm still working with them on staying in their seat and not talking while someone else is talking...but to my surprise, they've actually done better than I expected. Praise the Lord!
This picture is from our first day. They are decorating their letter and number folders. Any color sheets or cut/paste things we do that have letters on them, we put in our letter folder. We are also doing one number/week, so I made them a number book and I'm giving them a place to practice writing the number and then glueing/putting a sticker on that page that corresponds with the amount of that number. Hope that makes sense : ). Another successful routine is doing our days/week and months/year songs each morning. I've been impressed with how fast both of the girls are catching on and really getting into the songs.

Being able to teach Sophie and Bethany has been an answer to prayer for me! From the time Sophie was a baby, I've thought about homeschooling. I've been going to homeschooling conferences and gathering materials. People have been giving me books and things to teach with. I've also wanted Sophie to have a friend and for me to have another mom that could partner with us in this. Bethany's mom has been helping me with Isaac each day so I can teach the girls. That's been great! Sophie has enjoyed having a friend over each morning. A few minutes ago she said, "Mom, where is Befany?" : ) I don't know what will happen next year, but I'm so thankful that this year Sophie can have this experience. It's a little extra time and work for me, but it's so worth it!
If you're interested in the curriculum I've been using, the website is: www.letteroftheweek.com. I'm using the prepatory curriculum along with the letter of the week curriculum. I liked both, and I figured it wouldn't be hard to combine them. It's worked out well. Plus....it's free!
Keep praying for us...that the girls would learn, that I would have wisdom and patience to teach them, and that God would bless our efforts! Thanks!

No comments: