Wednesday, December 1, 2010

New Books...new reviews!



I was able to get some new books recently from Bethany House Publishers to review. I was excited because this time I was getting contemporary fiction...a change from my usual historical fiction. So I hope these reviews are fun and helpful for you!
I'll start with Amy Inspired by Bethany Pierce.
This is the story of Amy, a young woman struggling through life, trying to make a living, publish her writing, and find love. She's teaching writing at the local college, living with the eccentric Zoe, and then meets Eli, who ends up becoming a third roommate. Amy wants to be loved, appreciated, and valued, but has been very discouraged by the events in her life. Eli seems to be the one person who accepts and believes in her.
My thoughts on this story...well, honestly, it was my least favorite book of the three. I'm a pretty conservative reader, and the several references to underclothes, the shape of people's bodies, etc. was a little uncomfortable for me. Beyond that, I was most concerned about the way Amy, and other characters, defined their faith. Amy would describe her faith in the Lord...but I never felt that her faith was clearly defined. The same went for her friends. Her friends made choices that were contrary to the Lord's teaching, yet they were described as having faith in Him. And that all seemed ok, according to the book. Kind of like a just-do-what-you-can kind of faith, and it'll all be ok. One thing I did like about the book was that there was some humor and the references to popular culture were very easy to relate to. Overall, I don't think I would recommend this one for the church library. It was interesting, at times entertaining, kind of sad and depressing quite often, and a little confusing if you don't have a good understanding of doctrine/faith in the Lord.
Next story...Hattaras Girl by Alice J. Wisler
This is the story of Jacki, quite secure as a writer for a magazine, and living in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. She's constantly being set up with guys, but never seems to find Mr. Right. Her lifelong dream--to own and operate a local Bed and Breakfast that she used to visit as a child. On a writing assignment, she meets Davis Erikson, who is handsome, wealthy, successful, and a little secretive. He's also connected with the Bed and Breakfast.
One thing I immediately noticed, and that I liked, about this book is that the story is told completely in first person...from Jacki's mind, her perspective. It was great to see everything from her thoughts. They were real thoughts that you and I would have, but not something we would necessarily say out loud. It made the book interesting. Even her selfish and irritated thoughts were revealed, and it made Jacki even more real in my mind. I laughed out loud several times...I loved the humor in the book. I also enjoyed the references to popular culture, which included shows I watch on tv even now! The story was not as predictable, had a few little twists and turns, and there was even a love story. Overall an enjoyable book and one I would recommend! It even had three recipes at the end of the book...including a lemon cookie recipe that I'm seriously thinking of making soon! : )
Last, but not least, A Rush of Wings by Kristen Heitzmann
This is the story of Noelle St. Claire...frightened and confused, escaping from a darkness that she can't quite figure out. She flees from New York and a life of privilege, to Colorado, where she knows no one. She wants to feel safe and protected. She makes her way to the Spencer ranch, and manages to rent a place to stay. There she meets Rick, the man who owns the ranch, trains horses, and loves the Lord. Noelle sees the ranch as her haven, a place where she can finally learn who she really is...but all the while there's a darkness that keeps creeping in and she is afraid to confront it.
Ok...this is my favorite! I must begin by saying that I have read this book before, but I had forgotten a lot of what happened. Kristen Heitzmann is also one of my favorite authors. Her books are often suspenseful (this one included), but clearly define what faith in God is. This book has a great use of imagery and language. I felt like I was right there on the ranch with the characters. There are also a lot of twists and turns in the story, so it's hard to put down. In fact, I read most of the book in one day! There is romance, but it was described in a way that wasn't uncomfortable. Overall, I would definitely recommend it!
Happy reading!

No comments: