Monday, September 19, 2011

Our life at week 12

I haven't been a faithful blogger lately. It's not because I don't still love it or wish to tell all of you about the wonderful things we're doing around here...it's simply that I'm nauseous and tired all the time. It's sort of draining. About 4 or 4:30pm every day, baby Daniel reminds me that he/she is helping those hormones do their work. Cooking dinner every night has not been pleasant. The thought of fixing a meal that involves raw meat is very unappetizing...but my family is depending on me to feed them. Let's just say we have had a lot of sandwiches and frozen pizza lately. Thankfully no one has complained! I know this, too, shall pass in time but I'm ready. I have hope, too. I'm entering into week 12 and that means that my first trimester is pretty much done. And that means that the sickness...if it's anything like my first two pregnancies...should start to let up. Yes! So I decided to look up how baby D is doing this week. Here's the scoop (according to babycenter.com):


How your baby's growing:
The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.
Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.


Pretty exciting! Our little one is growing and I can tell. I'm already wearing some maternity clothes. Yes, I'm stretched out from the other babies, or so I've been told. I'm really trying to be healthy this time around, though. I am charting my weight each week, trying to eat healthy and avoid sweets, and plan to do more exercise once this sickness lets up.


So...not only am I going through some physical transitions lately, but we've also been going through some other transitions with Sophie and Isaac. Sophie is now out of pull-ups at night! Wooohoo! I didn't know when this day would come. BUT...it hasn't come without a price. Joe and I have to wake her up, usually twice a night, to go to the bathroom in order to avoid the dreaded wet bed. Is it worth not having to buy pull-ups? Yes. Do I wish I didn't have to wake her up? Yes. I'll deal with it. As I've stated before, Isaac is in a big boy bed now. The first week was kind of rough. He was not staying in his bed and it was taking forever every night to get him to sleep. Then he was tired and irritable the next day. Not fun. The words "Supernanny technique" even came up in Joe and I's conversation one night. That's how desperate we were! Thankfully...this week he's started getting on board with the going to bed thing. Yay! If he doesn't go right to sleep, he quietly gets up for a few minutes, but climbs back into bed and pulls his covers up. Awesome. Mommy and Daddy are happy.


Other happenings this week: our first school field trip of the year! We're heading out to the local veterinary clinic and they're going to give us a tour. I think everyone is going to enjoy it. And...the highlight for me is a Mommy's weekend! A friend and I are heading over to Birmingham to attend one of Lifeway's dot.Mom conferences. It's going to have some wonderful Christian speakers, authors, singers, and Bible study leaders. There will be breakout sessions that we'll be able to choose from that sound wonderful! I think it will be a great time of learning and refreshment for us. Not only that, but I'm also planning to see some of my old Thailand buddies! We're staying with one of my old roomies and will hopefully spend some good quality time with two familes who are home on furlough.


Thanks for sticking with me, everyone. I have pictures and things that I plan to post soon. We've been having fun with homeschool and the girls are doing great. Isaac is saying lots of new words and showing interest in learning shapes, colors, numbers, and other things.


We are truly blessed. Thanks for all your prayers!

3 comments:

The Sheffields said...

Hey Stacey! One thing that worked for my sisters who would mostly be nauseated after lunch and beyond is to cook dinner in the morning (or at least the meat that is most unappetizing). Not sure if that will help, but thought I'd mention it. :)

Selena said...

Congratulations! How exciting!

The Great Adventure said...

Thanks, Kimberly. Yes, if I woke up earlier and wasn't homeschooling, that is a great idea. I've honestly been so lazy lately! If I planned ahead better, I could just put something in the crock pot, but I'm not quite there yet! : ) Thanks, Selena! Hope you guys are doing well!