Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What's playing...

"I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at the first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, great and strong! He made me love him without looking at me" (Chapter 17). Jane says this when she sees Rochester again after his absence. She had tried to talk herself out of loving him, but it was impossible. This is also an example of one of the times that Jane addresses the reader.

Good stuff, right? Ok, so I'm sort of back in my loving Jane Eyre mood. I think it needs to be read...again. I think I've read it twice already, but it's hard to remember. I've seen about 4 different versions of the movie and it just never gets old. My mood got started the other day when I watched the newest remake of the movie...and absolutely loved it. It is definitely an abbreviated version (only 2 short hours : )) so you don't get the complete effect, but I thought the acting was wonderful and the set/costumes looked very authentic. That's kind of how I felt after watching the newer version of Pride and Prejudice. I love the old version...all 6? hours of it...but if I want a nice little taste of Jane Austin in a short amount of time...I pop that in. So here's a little taste of what I saw the other day...


Some of my favorite scenes. I love it! There are so many versions of this movie...and I think I've seen almost all of them. I can't help it...I think this version is my favorite. Warning...this clip has some spoilers!


So do I have you hooked now? I think you have to like this movie genre to really like this movie, but if you're a romantic like me, this kind of story will get you every time! The book also helps us to see more of Jane's character. That's what I really loved about reading the book. I would definitely recommend it.

Now what have the kids been watching? Joe and I have introduced them to *some* of the Star Wars movies! I can't even remember the first time I watched Star Wars...it's been a family favorite basically forever. My brother is a HUGE fan. Not kidding...he has hundreds of Star Wars collector figures still in their boxes. At one point he hung them all over the walls of his bedroom. There are multiple light sabers and other stuff still at my parents house. Now the grandkids love playing with them. We haven't let the kids see all of the Star Wars movies because we thought some were a little too intense/scary. We did let them see episode 2 (I'm talking about the newer ones) and the other day I let them watch the original Star Wars. Afterwards Sophie said, "Mom, Luke Skywalker is so handsome!" I couldn't help but laugh about that!

2 comments:

Melanie Dickerson said...

I recently discovered the Tobey Stephens version of this movie and it is my new favorite! Honestly, I think it may be more true to the passionate nature of the story. However, they did leave out some parts that I thought were crucial. I really love a lot of the Jane Eyre movies. Almost all of them!

The Great Adventure said...

I saw that one this year, too! I liked it...it had a lot of good parts! I almost put some clips of it on here. I think it's a lot more sensual, though, than some of the other versions. After reading the book again, I really can't think of any version that really captures Jane's faith...and even Rochester's eventual faith. That's what is so great about the story to me. She trusted God when she couldn't trust herself and He sustained her in the midst of such agony. I can't say enough about this book...so many layers to it! : ) Thanks for commenting, Melanie!