Saturday, October 22, 2011

Food Experiments: the good, the fun, and the runny

Ahhh, fall. I love you. It's the season of long sleeves, pumpkins, and apples. Last year we were able to go to North GA to Burt's Pumpkin Patch (incredible!) and got a little pumpkin to carve. I still have hopes to go somewhere a little closer and get one this year. But, just in case we don't, I wanted to do something at school that involved food and fall. I had heard several facebook friends buzzing about making caramel apples. I've never done it, so I thought it would be fun. I didn't have a recipe, just some words of advice from a friend who's done it before. So, I ran over to the Dollar Tree and snagged me up 4 small bags of caramels...and off we went!


I had some large popsicle sticks to use for our little experiment, but I saw these skewers in a drawer and thought they might work better. I snipped off the end to shorten it a little and the pointy end went right into the apple. I was glad I used these instead.
It may not look like much, but it took me forever to unwrap all of those caramels! I got the girls to help me, but after about 5 minutes they both gave up. I would definitely recommend doing this part ahead of time. I added about 2 teaspoons of water to them before putting them in the microwave. I would strongly recommend using more water! Our caramel was so thick. You'll see the results of that in a minute. Towards the end I added more water to try and thin it out, but I added too much. You'll see that on down, too : ). After adding the water, I heated the caramels in 30 second increments. If you stir the caramel and it's really thick...add a little more water. I would only add a teaspoon at a time, though. Too much and it'll be really runny.


Even though I didn't really know what I was doing...these girls always have fun! And I have fun with them!


I look at this picture and I can't help but smile! And laugh to myself! The girls did a great job decorating our apples with sprinkles (and successfully covering my kitchen floor with said sprinkles). The apples that have caramel just oozing off of them were the thick ones. The apples that barely have any caramel on them were the thin ones. They may look runny, but they tasted great!

That same night I cooked supper and really wanted to share this other little experiment. I've made this several times and the whole family loves it. It's easy, too. I call it "Asian spaghetti".

What you need:

1 pack ground turkey

1 small onion

1-2 garlic cloves, chopped

soy sauce

1 package of Yakisoba noodles


How I cook it:

This is just what I put together. If you have other things, like an egg you'd like to stir fry in, other herbs...go for it. It'll probably taste good. I cut up my onion first while my wok is heating up. I add a little olive oil and put my onions in. I chop up my garlic and let it sit. Once my onions are glassy, I put in my turkey then throw in the garlic. I don't know if that's the right order to put things in...it's just what I do. As I'm cooking the turkey, onions, and garlic, I put in several shakes of my soy sauce. You can add more/less according to your taste. While my turkey is finishing up, I get my Yakisoba out. It's basically a large pack of ramen noodles that come with some freeze-dried veggies and a pack of seasoning. You add water and the veggies and pop it in the microwave for about 4 minutes...and they're done! I usually don't add the seasoning pack and drain any excess water. Then I pour the noodles in with my meat and if I think it needs more soy sauce, I add that too. Viola! A meal is ready.


By the way, I didn't even own a wok until about a year ago. I got mine at Ikea...in fact it was a gift...but I know it only cost about $5. Great deal! Mine has held up really well and I would definitely recommend it!

Blessings~Stacey

No comments: