Friday, April 27, 2012

Easy, delicious apple dumplings!

Tonight we had what our church calls a "shuffle fellowship".  Basically what we do is have people sign up to be a part of a night of food and fellowship.  There are host homes who provide meat/main dish and everyone else that comes provides side dishes.  The "shuffle" part comes in when we mix up the age groups and family groups.  Our group was made up of us...parents/3 young kids, another family with 2 grown children and 5 adopted children from China, a couple with a 5 yr old boy, and two single ladies.  Our host family is a couple that has 6 grown children and several grandchildren.  They are awesome, by the way!  : )  We had some incredible steak, veggies, pasta salad, mac and cheese, great yeast rolls, salad, and more.  It was all SO good.  I ate like a crazy woman.  A crazy, tired, hungry woman.  I had to make myself stop because I really think I could've eaten more.  Anyway, I volunteered to bring the dessert. 

Quick story before the recipe...I just want to say how grateful I am for our friends and church family who have provided several meals for us since Seth has been born!  It has been such a big help to me...as the primary food preparer...and has definitely taken some of the responsibility off of my shoulders.  One of the meals that someone brought over included the most amazing apple dumplings.  I've never made them and didn't know a good recipe, so I asked for the recipe for these right away!  I was very excited to find out that the recipe is SO easy and doesn't require a lot of ingredients=my kind of dessert!  That leads me back to tonight.  I made 16 apple dumplings for dessert and bought some vanilla ice cream to go on top...yum!  Cinnamon ice cream would be good, too.  Hope you all enjoy!

(Easy) Apple Dumplings
Ingredients (for 8 dumplings):
2 apples
1 can crescent rolls
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/2 stick melted butter
1/2 cup water
cinnamon

Directions:
Core and quarter apples (I used my apple peeler/corer/slicer..so there wasn't any skin). Take one can of crescent rolls and wrap one around each apple quarter. Place in dish and then cover with mixture of sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, and water. Pour over apples and crescent rolls and sprinkle with cinnamon. Put in oven at 350 for around 30 minutes! Easy!
A hearty serving would be 2 dumplings.  We all ate just one tonight, but I had another one when I got home ; ).




1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite recipe too!