Monday, March 18, 2013

Chocolate Cake Love

My baby turned one on Saturday. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I was thinking the other day how challenging that first baby year can be. So I'm kind of thankful that we're passing from that phase to a new one. But my baby is one. I'm afraid I'm not quite ready to stop thinking of him as a baby.
Here's the birthday cake!  I had a lot of fun making it.  I did a forest/woodland animals theme and it was so much fun to see all the great ideas on Pinterest.  I came up with the cake design myself, but I decided to make a new whole wheat chocolate cake recipe from 100 Days of Real Food blog.  I think I posted a link to the recipe not too long ago, but I thought I'd go ahead and type it out for you guys.  Y'all..I wasn't sure how good it would be...but this was GOOD!  Everyone liked it.  I must put out a disclaimer, though....I didn't use a healthy icing.  I still used my Wilton's buttercream recipe...just because I've done it so many times and I knew it was good.  I just didn't have the energy to try two new recipes.  I don't know if that affected the goodness of the cake...because I really think the cake would've been good regardless.  I also didn't use organic sugar for the cake or icing.  Here's the recipe:

Whole-wheat Chocolate Cake
Serves: 14-16 generous servings (we had a lot of cake!)
Recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used the King Arthur's white wheat)
1 cup all purpose white flour (or can sub whole-wheat flour), organic recommended (I used the regular white flour)
1/2 cup unsweetened "dark" cocoa powder (I just used the Hershey's cocoa)
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup sugar, organic recommended
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 eggs, organic recommended (I used some straight from the farm! Yay!)
2/3 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
2 tablespoons vanilla (I don't know if this is a typo or not, but my little bottle of real vanilla would've all been gone if I used this much!  I just used 1 tablespoon : ).  Two seemed like a lot!)
butter for greasing pans (I used a little crisco and then sprinked with flour/cocoa powder)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Generously grease two 9-inch round cake pans (I did two different sized pans) or other sized baking dish. 
2.  In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients including flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
3.  Make a well (hole) in the middle of the dry ingredients and drop in the water, eggs, oil, and vanilla.  Mix by hand with whisk until well blended.
4.  Distribute batter evenly into the two cake pans and bake for 18-20 mins or until a toothpick inserted into center comes clean.  Let cool before adding frosting.
 If you don't take my word for it...just look at this little guy!  : )  He loved his cake. 
I just had to throw a pic of these in, too.  They were a huge hit and SO easy to do!  I saw this on Pinterest, too.  They are called "acorns" and are basically a mini vanilla wafer and a hershey kiss put together with a little icing.  Then I put a little dot of icing on the top.  These are definitely not soy free!  So as you can tell I sort of messed up on my eating over the weekend and the scales showed this morning.  Plus I've felt kind of yucky since I've been eating some junk.  It's actually good to see my body responding in bad way because I know why...and I'm motivated to go back to the way we were eating.  But...I still had fun celebrating and fellowshipping with family.  Hope you enjoy the recipe!
God bless~

No comments: