Friday, March 29, 2013

Throwing lunch together

Y'all...right after I posted about Janet's Planet, my family...all but me...had a really rough virus.  I don't think our family has ever experienced my husband, my oldest son, and my daughter all sick on the same night.  Our littlest son had it the day before.  So I had a couple of days of almost no sleep and the kind of clean up that no mom ever wishes on anyone.  Needless to say, that weekend was pretty much wiped out and starting last Monday, little guy started not feeling well again and ran a fever for almost 3 days.  He hasn't been sleeping well, either. 

Eating has been in survival mode.  I haven't even been able to do my major grocery trip during these two weeks (I try to do one big trip every two weeks and stock up).  I had a quick run through with all three kids and wasn't able to even get our normal produce.  PB and J's, ham sandwiches, cereal, and me trying to throw together meals with the things I had in the pantry is how it's been.  BUT...I have been using our soy-free peanut butter, our nitrate and nitrite free ham, our "Simply Truth" chicken, and I even made a whole wheat, homemade chicken pot pie crust the other day...I'm just going to call it "rustic" and leave it at that.  It was edible.  I think Joe and I were so hungry, we didn't complain and just polished it off over the course of a few days.  The kids had to be practically forced to take a bite.  I have added a few things that were not as good for us, and trip to KFC to satisfy my chicken craving (I know...not good), but I think given the circumstances we've done fairly well. 

Yesterday I was trying to come up with something new to do with some chicken I had thawed.  I thought, "Hey, I'll use those wonton wrappers I have left over!"  I made my chicken, cut up and cooked in a pan with some olive oil, onion, and garlic.  Then I added some sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese and stirred it all up in a bowl.  Filling ready, I started putting my wonton wrappers in my mini muffin pan.  Well, towards the end of the stack, I noticed some lovely white mold.  Yay.  Lunch plans destroyed.  Now what was I going to do with this filling?!  I racked my brain to try and think of something.  I thought...tacos.  Just do tacos.  We were lacking an essential taco element...tortillas.  So I bust out my handy recipe book that I knew had a whole wheat, homemade tortilla recipe in it that I used when I was in Thailand.  It was a little work, and it did involve Crisco, but the overall result was tasty!  If you want a Crisco free recipe, here is a link to my blog post about healthy eating...complete with a link to 100 Days of Real Food's whole wheat tortilla recipe.  I love 100 Days' recipes, but I don't always have some of the equipment they use...I have a hand mixer and a blender so I have to get creative on these "fancy" recipes (lol).  Here is the recipe I used:
Homemade Tortillas
2 cups flour (I used King Arthur's white wheat)
3 tbsp shortening (this is where the Crisco comes in)
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup water (add it last)

Directions:
Mix first three ingredients together.  Make and indentation about the size of an egg and put water in.  Work in gradually (I did it with my hands).  After this, I tried to pinch off about a small handful of the dough and roll it as best I could into a ball.  Then put it on a floured surface and rolled it out as thin as I could.  Cook about 1 min. in a pan per side.  No oil.

I think I made about 6 or 7 with this recipe.  One looked just like a real tortilla.  The others were a little thick.  I think the thinner you can get it, the better.  But all of them were tasty and hearty.  I put our leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge and we reheated them the next day and finished them off.

If you're interested in my original wonton idea, here is the link to that.  Those things are SO good, easy, and you can basically adapt it to whatever you like. 

Happy eating!
And a blessed Easter to all of you!  We will be celebrating the risen Jesus that day!  God bless~

No comments: