Monday, March 11, 2013

My Go-To Granola Recipe

There are so many options for granola out there.  Basically all you have to do is Google it or go to your favorite recipe site and there you go.  To save myself from wading through all of that, I am just going to stick with my favorite granola recipe. 

A little background.  Isn't it funny how God does stuff in your past that can really affect the present?  Years ago while I was in Thailand my dear friend, Melody, was really into health, healthy eating, and was sharing all that she was learning with us.  We all started making some big changes.  We all got juicers, started juicing, cut caffeine, and...started making granola.  : )  Among other things.  I think it was honestly the healthiest I've ever been.  I was exercising, going to the gym, drinking pretty much only water, etc.  I lost about 40 lbs over the course of a year or two and felt great.  Good times.  Now I want to get back to those good times.  My family aren't huge granola fans, but I think this would be a good snack and something we can put on our yogurt or something like that. 

This recipe is also one that you can adjust to how you or your family likes it.  I don't add ALL of these ingredients, but I add the ones that we like.  But you can add them all if you want to.  I think I'm also going to try cooking mine on parchment paper this time...just to avoid having it potentially stick to the pan.

Granola
Ingredients:
3 cups oats
2 1/8 oz sesame seeds (I'm not sure why it's this amount...maybe that's how big the package is?)
1 pkg. salted sunflower seeds
sliced almonds
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup dates

Directions:
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl
2. Put honey and next 5 ingredients in another bowl
3. Pour honey mix over oat mix--stir
4. Spread onto pan.
5. Cook at 325 for 20 min (may need to flip granola over mid-way)
6. Add raisins after cooking.

It really is delicious and after chatting with some friends at our weekly homeschooling group this morning about it...I think I'll make it this week!  : )  I also really want to make Pioneer Woman's Strawberry Bars.  They are SO good and make great snacks.  If I use the healthier versions of some of the ingredients, it'll be soy-free and a little better for us.  Yum!

I'll be doing another giveaway soon so stay tuned!
~God bless~

No comments: