Friday, March 8, 2013

Early birthday gift

One of the things I know I got from my mom is our inability to keep gifts a secret.  I know if we HAD to, we could, but we both just get so excited it's really hard to hold it in.  Thankfully, I don't mind getting birthday gifts about 4 months early : ).  And thankfully my husband doesn't mind getting early Christmas/birthday gifts. Pretty much every year I've ordered something or got something for him before Christmas I end up giving it to him early because I just can't wait to show it to him! : )

With that said, yesterday I was at my parent's house visiting and my mom told me she had my birthday present.  She gave me the option of waiting or I could just get it now.  Well, you know how this story is going to go.  I absolutely LOVED what I saw when I opened the box!


This isn't the best picture...my camera wouldn't take a good picture of it, so I had to get one with my phone.  It's a necklace on a copper chain, with three different "charms" on it.  One is a pendant with a small map of Thailand inside.  The other is a key (a real key) with the words "road trip" engraved on it.  The last is a small leather journal..with real paper pages in it.  My mom wrote me a sweet note in there and I plan to put each of the kids' thumbprints inside.  Each charm fits me perfectly! 
Thailand: I used to live in Thailand as a missionary for almost 4 years.  My friends who still live there, the country, the Thai people all still have a very special place in my heart.  I hope one day our family can go for a visit so they can see this beautiful place!
road trip:  Joe and I LOVE to go on road trips!  It's one of the things we've enjoyed doing since we were dating...even if it's just a short trip. It's a great opportunity to talk, have fellowship, and get out of town for a while.
journal:  I love to write.  I have been a journal writer for MANY years....and I have piles of filled up journals to prove it.  I've also attempted to write some fiction of my own.  I've completed one story and have started another...but haven't really regained my momentum since I got pregnant with Seth.  I hope that one day I can pick it back up.  It's definitely something I enjoy.

Caroline Sandlin is the artist who made the necklace.   Here is a blog post I found that shows some of her jewelry.  Her website is http://carolinesandlinjewelry.com/ .  If you're a GA native and live close to Macon, the annual Mulberry Street Craft Show will be coming up on March 23rd and Caroline will have a booth there.

If you're interested in other Cherry Blossom events, here is a link to the daily schedule.  There are lots of fun (and free!) things to do.

Blessings!

No comments: