Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The best carrot dish!

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I do not like sweet potato souffle. I know it's a traditional Thanksgiving dish, and also served many other times during the year, but I just don't care for it. When I was in Thailand, sweet potatoes were not available in our grocery store. I didn't really miss them. But when holidays come around, most people enjoy having sweet potatoes. One of the team members had a great recipe for carrot souffle. Carrots were readily available in Thailand. They are huge, too! But anyway, we would always have this carrot souffle at Thanksgiving and I LOVE it! It's rich and delicious (and of course, pretty fattening). But it's a great addition to the Thanksgiving/Christmas buffet. Most of the people I've made it for have said that it tastes almost just like sweet potato souffle...but not to me! :D Hope you enjoy!

Carrot Souffle (this recipe makes two servings --two pretty big servings! You can half it for just one family gathering)
  • 3 lbs carrots (I like buying the bags of the little carrots that are ready to eat...they're sold in one lb bags)
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder (I used the aluminum free)
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups butter (!!)

Cook carrot in boiling water, about 15 minutes. Position knife blade in food processor (I just have a blender...it works fine); add carrots, butter, and remaining ingredients (I had to mix the ingredients together in one bowl and put carrots with some mixture on top in the blender. It was so much that I had to do it in about 3 or 4 rounds. Then I would pour each batch into a big bowl just to make sure all the ingredients were mixed together well). Process until smooth. Spoon into 2 lightly greased 1 1/2 quart baking dishes. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

No comments: