Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's in a name...

I really can't say enough about these two precious little ones that I share my days with. There are countless fun moments that I hope I take advantage of while they are at this stage in their lives. I love the way that God created them. When Joe and I were thinking about baby names, we wanted to give each child a name that would be special for them. We wanted the name to have a meaning that would be Biblical, but also relate to the kind of person they might be. We obviously had no idea what kind of personality they would have, but I really think that God led us to the right names for our children.
Our first, we named Sophia Abigail. I loved the name Sophie for quite a while. I've always thought it was so cute and feminine. I'd never really known what it meant. Sophia is from the Greek meaning wisdom. We prayed that Sophie would have wisdom...not just earthly wisdom, but wisdom from the Lord. Joe really liked the name Abigail. He got this from the story in the Bible when Abigail helped David and his men. Through her wisdom and service to David, she saved the life of her husband and family. We have really seen this name suit Sophie well. She has a lot of earthly wisdom in her young life (knowing things like her ABC's at a young age, talking well, etc), but we can see that God is also doing things in her little heart. Just the other day I was talking to her about how I hoped that one day she would let Jesus in her heart and make her heart clean and fresh. She said, I want to ask Jesus in my heart. I said, really? She said, yes. I told her that you have to pray to ask Jesus in your heart. Then she just said, Thank you, Jesus. I was amazed. I know she didn't understand at this age what it truly meant to surrender your life to Jesus, but I think the Lord is softening her heart and already making her sensitive to spiritual things. It is a blessing to see. She is a blessing!

When we got pregnant for the second time, I was truly content with the thought of having a girl or a boy. It really didn't matter to either Joe or I. If we had a boy, though, I loved the name Isaac. Before we knew what Sophie was going to be, we had both liked the name Isaac if we were to have a boy. So, when we found out we were having a boy, we had the name already picked out! Isaac means laughter, but he was also the first born son of Abraham and the son of a promise from God to Abraham. We prayed before we had children that God would allow us to have children and grandchildren, future generations, of family that would serve Him. Isaac's middle name is Joseph. This is after his father, but also the story in the Bible of Joseph. It's interesting to see how Isaac has developed in his little personality. He is full of smiles, that cute little six-toothed smile, and he will cut those little eyes over at me and grin...and I just melt! He is full of energy and mischief. His current favorite thing to do is play with the tv buttons. As I was typing this, he threw a bath toy in the toilet and I caught him right before he stuck his hand in. We're in for some adventures with this little guy!

I'm so thankful for my little treasures. God has blessed us!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

It is definitely a fun but sobering thought to name a person! We've talked for fun about various names as well and I always want to know the meaning behind the name. My parents were very intentional in the names they gave my brother and I and we plan to be with our children as well one day. :-)